Lighting up a lot (50) vacuum tubes

In summary, the speaker is an artist with basic knowledge of electronics. They are able to lay out complex schematics and solder them, but have limited understanding of the physics behind it. They have 50 vacuum tubes and want to use them for lighting effects in a stop-motion animation. Each tube requires 6-12 volts and they need a total of 75 amps to power all 50. They have looked into converters but they are expensive. They are asking if there is a cheaper way to get the necessary amps from the wall, and if they are lighting the tubes correctly. They are also open to using only 20 tubes. Other users suggest using transformers to provide the proper filament voltage and matching the currents of the tubes. It
jla2125
Hi! I'm an artist with a basic knowledge of electronics. "Basic," meaning that I can lay out a sorta-complex schematic on protoboard and solder it up, as well as test it and debug it if it doesn't work (given many hours and some alcohol to stem the frustration). As for actually understanding how the physics work, I'm a bit limited when it comes to that. I can do the math, provided you give me equations, but that's about it.

So, with that in mind, I have about 50 or so vacuum tubes. I want to use them to get some nice glowy lighting effects in a stop-motion animation piece I am working on. I've managed to get every tube to glow by itself, but each one requires (pretty much) 6-12 volts, and they max out the current on all my power supplies, the highest of which seems to go to 5.5 amps. (This confuses me, because the meter says the max is 5.5, but where I've plugged the probes in, the label leads me to believe that the max is 0.5 amps. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3572/3442815411_26db4c4e6c_o.jpg" It's the blue heathkit one.)

On another supply that I do not have an image of, the tube pegged the meter at 1.5 amps. It glowed nicely though, so I calculated that in order to get 50 tubes to glow, I'd need about 75 amps (50 tubes * 1.5 amps = 75 amps total). Provided my math is correct, that's a lot of amps. I've looked into AC to DC converters that give me 12 volts at 100 amps, but those things are like $300 at the cheapest.

My question to you guys is this: is there a cheap / free way to get 75 amps out of the wall and into 50 vacuum tubes?
Am I lighting the tubes up correctly, or is there an easier way than just connecting the two filament/heater pins to a power supply? Also, I'm willing to use maybe 20 tubes or so. so that's like 30 amps.

PS: please don't give me visual alternatives to using a boatload of tubes. If this doesn't work out, I already have a list of alternatives (christmas lights, drilling and shoving LEDs into the tubes, ect)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You might be able to get someone to help you do this safely.

If you put vacuum tubes with equal current ratings in series you could put about ten 12 V valves across 120 volts AC from the wall socket.
That would be 1.5 amps
You could have 5 sets of these strings of 10 valves in parallel. 50 valves.
That would be 7.5 amps.

However, this must be done VERY carefully and it doesn't sound like you have enough experience to do it safely. So please get help.
You should pay an electrician to do it and make it safe.

vk6kro said:
You might be able to get someone to help you do this safely.

If you put vacuum tubes with equal current ratings in series you could put about ten 12 V valves across 120 volts AC from the wall socket.
That would be 1.5 amps
You could have 5 sets of these strings of 10 valves in parallel. 50 valves.
That would be 7.5 amps.

However, this must be done VERY carefully and it doesn't sound like you have enough experience to do it safely. So please get help.
You should pay an electrician to do it and make it safe.

Can you reverse-bias vacuum tubes with 170 Vpk? Or over-volt them? I suppose that could be somewhat fixed by using a bridge rectifier, but I'm not sure about the overvolting part. Maybe a few 10:1 transformers to bring the voltage down to 12 Vac, but getting ones beefy enough to do it would probably cost more (in total) than the power supply the OP was looking at.

If all you are wanting to do is to light up the filaments (heaters) then use a transformer that provides the proper filament voltage. Typically they need 6vac or 12vac. You can tell by the tubes number. e.g. a 6AW8 has a 6volt heater (http://www.oddmix.com/tubes/6aw8a_2.html" [Broken]). Note that the heater currents for these two are 0.6A and 0.15A respectively.
For other tubes, see: http://www.oddmix.com/tubes.html"

So just parallel up all the 6 volt filaments on a 120/6 volt transformer and all the 12 volt filaments on a 120/12 volt transformer.

dlgoff said:
If all you are wanting to do is to light up the filaments (heaters) then use a transformer that provides the proper filament voltage. Typically they need 6vac or 12vac. You can tell by the tubes number. e.g. a 6AW8 has a 6volt heater (http://www.oddmix.com/tubes/6aw8a_2.html" [Broken]). Note that the heater currents for these two are 0.6A and 0.15A respectively.
For other tubes, see: http://www.oddmix.com/tubes.html"

So just parallel up all the 6 volt filaments on a 120/6 volt transformer and all the 12 volt filaments on a 120/12 volt transformer.

If the heaters of those tubes are only 600 and 150mA respectively, why do they peg my power supply's current output meter? Is this because the supply gives them 12vdc, instead of 12vac? Or, if I current limit them, will the filaments still light up, so long as I give them time to warm up?

@vk6kro: yeah, I'm not about to touch wall power without getting one of my electrical engineering friends to do the dangerous stuff for me.

Some tubes like 12AX7, 12AU7 etc can be run on either 6.3 or 12.6 volts because they have two filaments. Tubes running at the same voltage often draw different currents, so if you connect any tubes in series, match the currents.

Bob S said:
Some tubes like 12AX7, 12AU7 etc can be run on either 6.3 or 12.6 volts because they have two filaments. Tubes running at the same voltage often draw different currents, so if you connect any tubes in series, match the currents.

So, if I have 3 tubes, and two of them are rated for 0.6A and the other is 0.3A, I shouldn't put them in the same circuit?

jla2125 said:
So, if I have 3 tubes, and two of them are rated for 0.6A and the other is 0.3A, I shouldn't put them in the same circuit?
If they all have the same heater voltages then parallel them all together. Just add up the individual current rateings to see if your transformer can supply that current.

If the heaters of those tubes are only 600 and 150mA respectively, why do they peg my power supply's current output meter?
Your power supply is only good for 0.5 amp on the 0 to 20 volt output.

The resistance of valve filaments is quite low until they draw enough current to cause them to get hot. So, they tend to draw a large startup current.

If you are using large transmitting tubes, quite large currents could be needed.

If you put tubes in series, they will all get the same current, so this needs to be measured or looked up before you do this. (if you get it wrong, you can blow up filaments). You can put them in parallel if they have the same voltage ratings.

So, you will need a supply that can give you 6 and 12 volts at up to 5 amps. Or, you could try to find data on each valve by searching for its type number from Internet.
Tubes numbers sometimes give you information about the filament voltage. 6... means 6 volts. 12... means 12 volts. This does not apply to transmitting valves.

If you put 12 V on a 6 volt filament, it may blow it up, so it is better to start low and observe the brightness of the filament as you increase the voltage.

Wow, thanks for all the help! I wasn't expecting such fast and knowledgeable replies! I just wish I could return the favor with more scientific knowledge :P

So with my new understanding of my power supply, I've measured the following:
Code:
 7 24V Tubes: 3.05A total
 9 17V Tubes: 4.20A total
 5 12V Tubes: 2.10A total
 4 10V Tubes: 1.50A total
10  6V Tubes: 4.00A total

I have a bunch of computer power supplies, so I'm thinking I can just use LM317 regulators to get the voltages I need.

Thanks again for the help! I'll be sure to post a link to the video of the final result!

Computer power supplies produce a range of voltages, but only the 5 volt one is capable of a lot of current. Mine, here, gives 5 Volts at 30 Amps , but only an amp or so at 12 volts

If you have access to a battery charger as used to charge car batteries, that would have fairly useful transformer in it, but you would have check it out to see if it was suitable.

You have friends who can advise you so you should ask them to help with anything that takes you near mains voltages.

1. How does lighting up a lot of vacuum tubes work?

Lighting up a lot of vacuum tubes involves passing an electric current through the tubes, which causes the electrons inside to become excited and emit light. This process is known as electroluminescence.

2. Why would someone want to light up a lot of vacuum tubes?

Lighting up a lot of vacuum tubes can serve as a decorative or artistic display, as the tubes emit a unique and aesthetically pleasing glow. It can also be used for scientific experiments or demonstrations.

3. How many vacuum tubes can be lit up at once?

The number of vacuum tubes that can be lit up at once depends on the power supply and the design of the circuit. Generally, up to 50 vacuum tubes can be lit up simultaneously, but this can vary.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when lighting up a lot of vacuum tubes?

Yes, it is important to take precautions when handling and powering vacuum tubes. They can produce high voltages and should only be handled by trained individuals. It is also important to follow the proper procedures for powering the tubes to avoid any potential hazards.

5. Can lighting up a lot of vacuum tubes have any practical applications?

Lighting up a lot of vacuum tubes can have practical applications in certain electronic devices, such as amplifiers and radios. It can also be used in scientific instruments, such as Geiger counters, to detect radiation.