Finding the Work Done in a Monatomic Ideal Gas Process

In summary, the conversation is about a reversible cycle involving a monatomic ideal gas with specific values given for different processes. The goal is to find the energy added and leaving the gas as heat, the net work done by the gas, and the efficiency of the cycle. The attempt at a solution involved calculating pressure and work for different processes, but there were errors and confusion about how to integrate and apply formulas. The correct approach is to use the formula TV^{\gamma - 1} = K to find the change in temperature from c to a, and since there is no added heat, the work is equal to the change in internal energy.
Poulsen8r

Homework Statement

Hi, this question is from Fundamentals of Physics 8th Edition:
Figure 20-27 shows a reversible cycle through which 1.00 mole of a monatomic ideal gas is taken. Process bc is an adiabatic expansion, with pb = 5.20 atm and Vb = 4.80 x 10-3 m3. For the cycle, find (a) the energy added to the gas as heat, (b) the energy leaving the gas as heat, (c) the net work done by the gas, and (d) the efficiency of the cycle.

(Figure is Attached)

Homework Equations

PiVi^(Gamma)=PfVf^(Gamma)
W=P(delta)V
PV=nRT
PV^(Gamma)=nRTV^(Gamma-1)
(Delta)U=Q-W
Q=nCp(Delta)T
(Gamma)= 1.67 for monoatomic gas
Eint=(3/2)nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

This may look a little weird because of the subscript and powers but i'll give it a go:
Calculating Pressure at (a) and (c):
PiVi^(Gamma)=PfVf^(Gamma)
5.2689e5*4.8e-3=Pf*38.4e-3
Pf=1.6352e4 Pascals

Calculating Work from c to a:
W=P(delta)V
=1.6352e4*(38.4-4.8)e-3
=549.4272J

I believe this is correct...

Calculating temperature at (b) and (c):
T=(PV^(Gamma))/(nRV^(Gamma-1))

Tb=((5.2689e5)*(4.8e-3)^1.67)/(1*8.314*(4.8e-3)^(-0.67))
=304.1944K

Tc=((1.6352e4)*(38.4e-3)^1.67)/(1*8.314*(38.4e-3)^(-0.67))
=75.5233K

Calculating (Delta)Eint for process b to c:
(Delta)Eint=nRTf-nRTi
=nRTc-nRTb
=(1*8.324*75.5233)-(1*8.314*304.1944)
=-2851.757J --> I think this is where the problem lies.

Calculating work for process b to c:
(Delta)Eint=Q-W, as it is adiabatic Q=0 therefore (Delta)Eint=-W.
W=2851.757J

As there is no work for the process a to b, this means that the net work done on the system is 3401.18J... Which is incorrect... I don't know the solution but i know that that answer is wrong... I tried a few other methods than the one above but i get the same answer and i am going crazy and in circles...

Attachments

• fig20_27.gif
    fig20_27.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 830
Physics news on Phys.org
Poulsen8r said:
Calculating Work from c to a:
W=P(delta)V
=1.6352e4*(38.4-4.8)e-3
=549.4272J
You can't do it this way. You have to integrate to find the area under the curve from c to a. It is not a rectangle.

Use:

[tex]TV^{\gamma - 1} = K[/tex] to find the change in temperature from c to a. Since there is no added heat, you know that [itex]W = -\Delta U = -nCv\Delta T[/itex]

AM

Andrew Mason said:
You can't do it this way. You have to integrate to find the area under the curve from c to a. It is not a rectangle.

Use:

[tex]TV^{\gamma - 1} = K[/tex] to find the change in temperature from c to a. Since there is no added heat, you know that [itex]W = -\Delta U = -nCv\Delta T[/itex]

AM

But why is the work done from c to a not a rectangle? i mean Work is the area under the graph which for the line c to a is a rectangle. And how can we apply the Constant volume formulas when its not at a constant volume? Also how do we know there's no added heat?

Last edited:

1. What is a monoatomic ideal gas process?

A monoatomic ideal gas process refers to the behavior of a gas consisting of single atoms that have no internal degrees of freedom, such as rotation or vibration. This type of gas is often used in theoretical models to simplify calculations and understand the basic principles of gas behavior.

2. What are the assumptions made in a monoatomic ideal gas process?

The main assumptions made in a monoatomic ideal gas process are that the gas particles are point masses that do not interact with each other, and that there is no external force acting on the gas.

3. How does a monoatomic ideal gas differ from a diatomic or polyatomic gas?

A monoatomic ideal gas differs from a diatomic or polyatomic gas in that the particles in a monoatomic gas have no internal degrees of freedom, while diatomic and polyatomic gases can rotate and vibrate. This means that monoatomic gases have simpler behavior and follow different equations of state.

4. What is the relationship between temperature and volume in a monoatomic ideal gas process?

In a monoatomic ideal gas process, the relationship between temperature and volume is described by the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of the gas is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as temperature increases, the volume of the gas will also increase, assuming constant pressure.

5. What is the significance of the monoatomic ideal gas process in real-world applications?

The monoatomic ideal gas process is mainly used as a theoretical model to understand the behavior of gases in ideal conditions. However, it also has practical applications in fields such as thermodynamics and fluid mechanics, where the assumptions made in this model can provide valuable insights and approximations for real-world systems.