Tensors in Gemotric Algebra

In summary: And it shouldn't be true, on dimensional grounds alone.)The two vectors do have to be in the same plane, but they can be as far apart as you like, and that distance gets larger as the angular velocity grows.In summary, a tensor is a formula for converting one vector to another vector, such as the angular momentum tensor which converts the angular velocity vector of a rigid body into the angular momentum vector. However, the angular momentum vector is not necessarily aligned with the angular velocity vector, and can be in a different plane as the angular velocity increases. Geometric Algebra provides a simplified way of understanding and representing tensors, but not all tensors have a natural representation in GA.
mnb96
Hello,
can anyone explain simply what is a tensor, using the language of Geometric Algebra?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A (rank-n) tensor is just any homogeneous multivector (n-vector).
For example, a bivector is a rank 2 tensor.

Wow, that sounds very simple.

However I still have some troubles. If you open any book on tensor analysis, and look for the general definition of a (mixed) tensor of order (m+n), you'll find something pretty obscure (for the beginner) which involves Jacobians, weights, partial derivatives, transformation laws, covariant/contravariant components.

I am really missing how all those "ingredients" can be absorbed into such a simple definition in Geometric Algebra.

You can start with understanding rank 1 tensors in terms of vectors (a special case of multivectors). Try:

'Gradient and tensor notes'

in:

http://sites.google.com/site/peeterjoot/math2009/gabook.pdf

I have a lot of other worked examples here:

http://sites.google.com/site/peeterjoot/electrodynamics

that translate to and from tensors and GA (as I am learning both simultaneously). In particular, try taking somerthing like the Lorentz force equation in GA form:

[tex]
\dot{p} = q F \cdot v/c
[/tex]

and translate this to index form. That is a good exercise to get some comfort with the index manipulation, and to see how the vector and bivector objects are related to their tensor equivalents.

Also note that GA doesn't neccessarily have a natural representation for any arbitrary tensor. Any completely antisymetric tensor has a blade representation. I'm not so sure that you'd neccessarily find natural representations for symmetric tensors, or more general tensors. The stress energy tensor which is symmetric does happen to have a slick GA representation, but I don't currently have a clue how one would figure out that out without knowing it beforehand (I can't currently follow the derivations I've seen).

Hi mnb96! :smile:
mnb96 said:
Hello,
can anyone explain simply what is a tensor, using the language of Geometric Algebra?
Thanks!

A tensor is a formula for converting one vector to another vector.

For example, the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=31" tensor converts the angular velocity vector of a rigid body into the angular momentum vector: Iω = L.

(surprisingly, angular momentum is not generally aligned with rotation. :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
Hi mnb96! :smile:

(surprisingly, angular momentum is not generally aligned with rotation. :wink:)

That's an interesting statement. Angular momentum is MLT^-1 where velocity is measured in radians per second. This implies rotation. I can see how a particle moving along a curving path (not a circle) has an angular velocity at every point but is not in a rotary path around some point. Is this what you mean? (Strictly speaking the particle is in a rotary path around some point, but only instantaneously depending on the trajectory.)

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
That's an interesting statement. Angular momentum is MLT^-1 where velocity is measured in radians per second. This implies rotation. I can see how a particle moving along a curving path (not a circle) has an angular velocity at every point but is not in a rotary path around some point. Is this what you mean?

?? :confused:

I mean that the angular momentum vector of a rigid body is not generally in the same direction as its angular velocity vector.

tiny-tim said:
?? :confused:

I mean that the angular momentum vector of a rigid body is not generally in the same direction as its angular velocity vector.

I don't think that's true in a gravitational field where a massive body is following a geodesic.

Last edited:

1. What are tensors in geometric algebra?

Tensors in geometric algebra are mathematical objects that represent multilinear relationships between vectors and covectors. They can be thought of as generalizations of scalars, vectors, and matrices.

2. What is the significance of tensors in geometric algebra?

Tensors in geometric algebra are useful for representing geometric transformations and physical quantities, such as stress and strain in materials. They also allow for the manipulation of complex geometric relationships in a concise and elegant manner.

3. How are tensors represented in geometric algebra?

In geometric algebra, tensors are represented using a combination of vectors, covectors, and basis elements. This allows for a more intuitive understanding of their properties and makes calculations easier.

4. What are some common operations performed on tensors in geometric algebra?

Some common operations performed on tensors in geometric algebra include contraction, outer product, and inner product. These operations allow for the manipulation and combination of tensors to create new tensors.

5. How are tensors used in physics and engineering?

Tensors are heavily used in physics and engineering for their ability to represent complex geometric relationships and physical quantities. They are particularly useful in fields such as electromagnetism, relativity, and mechanics.