Magnetisation in Ferromagnets: Understanding Hysteresis Loop

In summary, the conversation is about asking for an equation that describes hysteresis loop and First Magnetisation in ferromagnets. The person also suggests that it would be more efficient to directly ask the question instead of asking if anyone knows the equation.
omri3012
Hallo,

Does anyone familiar with an equation that describs hysteresis loop and First Magnetisation in ferromagnets?

Thanks

Omri

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
omri3012 said:
Hallo,

Does anyone familiar with an equation that describs hysteresis loop and First Magnetisation in ferromagnets?

Thanks

Omri

You really ouight to make a practice in asking a question that you're having a problem with. I mean, what if someone simply answer "Yes" to your question?

Do you then ask continue with the actual problem that you're having? Why not bypass all this and go right to the point? I doubt that you're just simply curious on knowing if there there's anyone who knows the hysteresis "equation".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You really ouight to make a practice in asking a question that you're having a problem with. I mean, what if someone simply answer "Yes" to your question?

Do you then ask continue with the actual problem that you're having? Why not bypass all this and go right to the point? I doubt that you're just simply curious on knowing if there there's anyone who knows the hysteresis "equation".

Zz.
My apologies if my English is not good enough for your high standards, but
I'm sure that people here are intelligence enough to understand my question.

1. What is magnetisation in ferromagnets and why is it important?

Magnetisation in ferromagnets refers to the process of aligning the magnetic domains within a ferromagnetic material in a specific direction, resulting in a net magnetic moment. This phenomenon is important because it allows ferromagnets to exhibit strong magnetic properties, making them useful in various applications such as data storage, motors, and generators.

2. What is hysteresis loop and how does it relate to magnetisation in ferromagnets?

Hysteresis loop is a graphical representation of the relationship between the magnetic field and the magnetisation of a ferromagnetic material. It shows how the magnetisation of a material changes when subjected to an external magnetic field, and how it retains some of its magnetisation when the field is removed. This loop is directly related to the magnetic properties of ferromagnets, such as their coercivity and remanence.

3. How does temperature affect the hysteresis loop in ferromagnets?

As temperature increases, the hysteresis loop in ferromagnets becomes wider and flatter. This is due to the thermal energy disrupting the alignment of the magnetic domains, making it easier for them to change direction. As a result, the coercivity and remanence of the material decrease, and it becomes less magnetically stable.

4. What is the difference between soft and hard ferromagnets?

Soft ferromagnets have a narrow and elongated hysteresis loop, meaning they can be easily magnetised and demagnetised. They are often used in applications that require frequent changes in magnetisation, such as in transformers and electromagnets. On the other hand, hard ferromagnets have a wide and boxy hysteresis loop, making them difficult to magnetise and demagnetise. They are commonly used in permanent magnets, such as those found in speakers and MRI machines.

5. How is the hysteresis loop affected by the microstructure of ferromagnetic materials?

The microstructure of a ferromagnetic material, such as grain size and grain boundaries, can greatly influence the shape and size of the hysteresis loop. For instance, materials with smaller grains tend to have narrower loops, while those with larger grains have wider loops. The presence of impurities and defects in the material can also affect the hysteresis loop and its magnetic properties.