Can Rain Drops Power Our Homes? A Theoretical Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using raindrops to produce energy through kinetic energy conversion. The calculations show that the amount of energy produced per raindrop is very small and it would require a large area to power a household for a year. There is also mention of using piezoelectric plates or capturing electricity from lightning, but it is deemed not practical. However, the idea of using raindrops to power small devices such as LED lights for camping is still considered worth developing.
Kalagaraz
I was bored, my internet was out (from the rain), and so was TV. So all I could was sit there and think...

So I started asking myself, how much energy does a single rain drop have and how much electricity could THEORETICALLY (100% efficiency) be produced from falling rain? So when my internet came back up, I thought I would try and calculate it.

From searching the internet this is the variables I was able to come up with

Typical Rain drop is 2mm in diameter, has a terminal velocity of 6.25856m/2, and has a mass of 4mg.

Using the kinetic energy forumla then I get (0.5) * (4x10-6kg) * (6.25856)^2 = 7.833914655x10-5 joules of energy per rain drop.

Looking up historical weather data for my city, I find that rain fall average is about 4.25 inches per month or 10.79500cm

Density of water is 1g/cm^3. So 1000mg / 4mg is 250 rain drops per cubic cm.

250 * 10.79500 is = 2698.75 rain drops per cm of area

2698.75 * 7.833914655x10-5 = .2114177718 joules per cm per month, multiply by 12 and we get 2.537013261 joules per cm per year.

1 joule = 1 watt second

From a quick google search I came up with the average household power usage being 8900 kilowatt-hours or 32040000000 watt seconds. So to power a house for a year of rain you would need a energy converter that covered as area 1.262902346x1010cm^2 or 78473.11366 square miles.

So if my math was correct, powering our homes from rain probably isn't the best of ideas. If anyone sees any errors in my math/calculations (and there most likely is, been a couple years since I've taken any physics classes) please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like this! (except for your poor use of significant digits <grin>) It also shows how much water is involved for hydroelectric dams to be economical.

Andy Resnick said:
I like this! (except for your poor use of significant digits <grin>) It also shows how much water is involved for hydroelectric dams to be economical.

hehe sorry about the significant digits. You should see how mad my math teachers get any time I have to use pi :)

you know what would be REALLY interesting... if you had a piezoelectric plate which deformed due to rain drops. minimal deflection (depending on thickness) .. but neat concept.

Nick Bruno said:
you know what would be REALLY interesting... if you had a piezoelectric plate which deformed due to rain drops. minimal deflection (depending on thickness) .. but neat concept.

That's what I was thinking, but after calculating how much energy would be produced. I didn't really think it was worth building a prototype or anything. My other idea was capturing electricity from lighting during the storm :), but from google I've found that it's very difficult to intentially attract lightning.

Last edited:
I think this idea is still worth developing a prototype. Think of all the campers who get stormed out. It would be a great way for them to harvest energy for small LED lights or something around their campsite for some night lights. I know in some areas, especially where people camp, it can rain like crazy.

1. What is the energy of a falling rain drop?

The energy of a falling rain drop is the potential energy it possesses due to its height above the ground. This energy is converted into kinetic energy as the rain drop falls to the ground.

2. How is the energy of a falling rain drop calculated?

The energy of a falling rain drop can be calculated using the formula E = mgh, where E is energy, m is the mass of the rain drop, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the rain drop above the ground.

3. Does the size of a rain drop affect its energy?

Yes, the size of a rain drop does affect its energy. Larger rain drops have more mass and therefore possess more potential energy as they fall compared to smaller rain drops.

4. How does air resistance impact the energy of a falling rain drop?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the energy of a falling rain drop by slowing down its descent. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of motion and converts some of the rain drop's kinetic energy into heat.

5. What happens to the energy of a falling rain drop when it hits the ground?

When a rain drop hits the ground, its energy is converted into other forms such as sound and heat. This is because the kinetic energy of the rain drop is transferred to the ground upon impact, causing it to vibrate and produce sound waves. Some of the energy is also converted into heat due to the friction between the rain drop and the ground.