Doing BSc in Europe and MSc in US

In summary: So it's a pretty big difference.I think you should definitely consider doing a B.Sc. and a graduate program before making a decision. It will give you a better understanding of what you want to do and you won't be so worried about the gap. In summary, a student can study physics in a European country and do a M.Sc. in the United States, but it is more expensive and tuition is cheaper in Canada. A graduate program in the United States is equivalent to a M.Sc. in Europe.
Niles
Hi all.

If a student takes his/hers BSc in e.g. physics in a European country, is it possible to do the MSc in the U.S.? And do you know what must be done by the student in order for the to be possible?

Also, is a graduate program in the US equivalent to a MSc program in Europe?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.Niles.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's certainly nothing preventing it and they're pretty much equivalent. However, have you looked at the costs for an EU student to study at an american private university?

maverick_starstrider said:
There's certainly nothing preventing it and they're pretty much equivalent. However, have you looked at the costs for an EU student to study at an american private university?

I haven't done that, and it is a main concern of mine. I thought of applying for a scholarship, but I have no experience/knowledge on where to start.

Do you know if there are representatives at the different colleges that can help potential students with these matters?

Well any decent grad school is going to probably have a contact on either their department website or their grad students website for foreign students. However, generally those kind of scholarships are pretty tight. I don't know what you reasons are for picking america but I know tuition is substantially cheaper in Canada, though still not nearly as cheap as it is for locals.

Thank you for that.

I am still a little worried about the difference between a graduate program and a European M.Sc. The graduate program is designed to be followed after an undergraduate program, just as a M.Sc. is designed to be followed after a B.Sc.

I am worried that I will not be able to "patch up" the differences, if I choose to do a B.Sc. and a graduate program.

In Canada and Europe usually one does BSc. MSc. PhD and PhD's take abour 3-4 years. In the states it usually goes BSc. PhD and PhD's usually take 5-7 years.

1. What are the benefits of doing BSc in Europe and MSc in US?

There are several benefits to pursuing a BSc in Europe and an MSc in the US. Firstly, it allows students to gain a diverse educational experience by studying in two different continents. This can broaden their perspectives and enhance their cultural understanding. Additionally, studying in Europe can be more affordable compared to the US, while obtaining a Master's degree from a US university can provide a competitive edge in the job market.

2. Will my credits from BSc in Europe transfer to a US university for my MSc?

In most cases, yes. Many universities in the US have credit transfer agreements with universities in Europe, making it easier for students to transfer their credits. However, it is important to research and confirm the transferability of credits with the specific universities you are considering to ensure a smooth transition.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific major for my BSc in Europe to be eligible for an MSc in the US?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific major for your BSc in Europe to pursue an MSc in the US. However, it is important to ensure that your undergraduate degree is relevant to the field you wish to pursue for your Master's degree. Additionally, some US universities may have specific prerequisites for certain graduate programs, so it is important to check the admission requirements beforehand.

4. How does the application process differ for BSc in Europe and MSc in US?

The application process for a BSc in Europe and an MSc in the US may vary slightly. Generally, the application for a BSc in Europe involves submitting academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. For an MSc in the US, in addition to these requirements, students may also need to take standardized tests such as the GRE or GMAT. It is important to check the specific admission requirements for each university.

5. Is it possible to work while pursuing a BSc in Europe and MSc in US?

Yes, it is possible to work while pursuing a BSc in Europe and an MSc in the US. However, it is important to check the visa regulations in both countries as they may have different rules regarding international students working while studying. Additionally, the workload of a Master's program can be intense, so it is important to manage time effectively and prioritize studies while working part-time.