Book Advice for Physics Grad Student Preparation

• Studying
  • Thread starter iamthegelo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation is about a Mechanical Engineering student who wants to go to grad school for physics and is seeking opinions on whether the books they have are suitable for self-study. The recommended books include Physics by Alonso & Finn, Math Methods by Boas, Classical Mech. by Taylor, E&M by Griffiths, Stat. Mech & Thermo by Stowe, and QM by Shankar. There is a discussion about the importance of majoring in physics for those interested in pursuing graduate studies in the field. The conversation also touches on the possibility of taking remedial classes during graduate studies and the importance of being well-prepared for grad school.
iamthegelo
Hi,

I am a Mechanical Engineering student about to take my upper division courses. I do, however, want to go to grad school for physics. I would like for people here to see if the books I have are good enough to self study.

-Physics by Alonso & Finn (I am already done with Intro Phys. but I would still like to go through this book).
-Math Methods by Boas
-Classical Mech. by Taylor
-E&M by Griffiths
-Stat. Mech & Thermo by Stowe
-QM by Shankar.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are the standard texts for a physics undergrad although if you've never done QM you might want to start with Griffith's (his QM book). However, if you can get through all those books you'll be fine. Although, that does seem an awfully big undertaking.

I agree with maverick_starstrider's recommendation of Griffiths' quantum mechanics book. I would also suggest (if you haven't already) trying to fit in an electrodynamics and quantum mechanics course before you graduate, although I know engineering programs can be rather dense near the end.

If you want to go to grad school in physics, you should major in physics.

Vanadium 50 said:

Well, sure, if you want to do things the *easy* way...

Vanadium 50 said:

If I apply to my university's master's I won't be able to take remedial classes to help me catch up? I guess double major is my only option or switching. Thanks.

In your graduate work you can take SOME remedial courses but generally, depending on the kind of school, you'll only be take 2-3 classes a term period. Which if you use all those for remedial you won't have room to actually take the graduate classes you need to graduate.

iamthegelo said:
If I apply to my university's master's I won't be able to take remedial classes to help me catch up?

You want my honest opinion? If you are just starting your upper division classes means that you have two years advance notice. The fact that you are planning to be unprepared in starting your grad school career does not bode well.

Remember, to excel at grad school, first you have to get into grad school. The plan you have chosen does not make you a particularly appealing candidates.

1. What books should I read to prepare for graduate-level physics courses?

It depends on your specific interests and goals, but some recommended books for graduate-level physics preparation include "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David Griffiths, and "Quantum Mechanics" by David McIntyre and Corinne Manogue.

2. Are there any specific study techniques or methods I should use when reading these books?

It's important to actively engage with the material while reading. This can include taking notes, summarizing key concepts, and working through practice problems. It's also helpful to regularly review and revisit material to reinforce your understanding.

3. Should I focus on a specific subfield of physics when choosing books to read?

It's beneficial to have a broad understanding of the fundamentals of physics, but it can also be useful to focus on a specific subfield that aligns with your research interests. This can help you develop a deeper understanding and build a strong foundation for your graduate studies.

4. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that can enhance my reading experience?

Yes, there are many online resources available, such as lecture notes, video lectures, and problem sets, that can supplement your reading and provide additional practice. It's also helpful to join online forums or study groups to discuss concepts and problem-solving strategies with other physics students.

5. How can I balance my reading and studying with other responsibilities as a physics graduate student?

Time management is key in balancing your reading and studying with other responsibilities. It's important to prioritize and schedule your tasks effectively. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing self-care can help prevent burnout and improve your overall productivity.