Calculate Height of Object in 9 secs

• Thread starter charles7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, to calculate the height an object reaches after being launched and landing 9 seconds later, use the standard constant acceleration equations with an acceleration of approximately 9.8 m/s2, and consider the meaning of this unit when using basic algebra to solve the problem."
charles7
I need help. I need to know how high an object goes if launched, travels up and back down, and lands 9 seconds later. I remember that in a vacuum, the travel time up equals the travel time down, but what is the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing you need to know, other than some basic algebra, is that the acceleration due to gravity is ~9.8 m/s2. Think about what that unit really means and it should be easy to solve.

Welcome to PF!

Hi charles7! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Use the standard constant acceleration equations. :smile:

1. How do you calculate the height of an object in 9 seconds?

To calculate the height of an object in 9 seconds, you will need to use the formula d = 1/2 gt^2, where d is the distance or height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time (9 seconds in this case). Plug in the values and solve for the height.

2. What do I need to know before calculating the height of an object in 9 seconds?

Before calculating the height of an object in 9 seconds, you will need to know the acceleration due to gravity (g) and the time (t). These values can usually be found in the problem or can be measured using tools such as a stopwatch and a ruler.

3. Can I use this formula for any object?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the height of any object, as long as it is dropped or thrown from a height and falls for 9 seconds.

4. How accurate is this calculation?

The accuracy of this calculation depends on the accuracy of the values used for g and t. If these values are measured or estimated accurately, then the calculated height will also be accurate. However, factors such as air resistance and other external forces may affect the accuracy of the calculation.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating the height of an object in 9 seconds?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the height of an object in 9 seconds, such as using the equation d = v0t + 1/2 at^2, where v0 is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration. However, the formula d = 1/2 gt^2 is the most commonly used and simplest method for calculating the height of an object in free fall.