Calculating Torque Needed to Stop Flywheel

In summary, the problem involves a rotating flywheel with a shaft attached to a gearbox and a question about the torque required to stop the flywheel in a certain amount of time. The torque will be the same at both ends of the shaft due to the same moment of inertia.
goelvaibhav
Torque required!

Hi,

Problem Statement:

A flywheel with Moment of Inertia I, and rpm w1 is rotating. It has a shaft at is center which is attached to a gearbox (1:100) at one end. The output shaft of the gearbox will rotate at w1 x 100. The other end of the shaft of the flywheel will rotate at w1.

Now, I need to stop the flywheel in 't' sec. Will the torque required to stop the flywheel will be the same at both the ends?

Vaibhav

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Vaibhav! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)
goelvaibhav said:
Now, I need to stop the flywheel in 't' sec. Will the torque required to stop the flywheel will be the same at both the ends?

Yes, for a particular acceleration α, torque = Iα …

I is the same, so the torque will be the same whichever end you apply it. :smile:

Hello Vaibhav,

Thank you for your question. To calculate the torque needed to stop the flywheel, we need to consider the angular acceleration of the flywheel. This can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity (w1) by the time (t) it takes to stop the flywheel. This angular acceleration will be the same at both ends of the shaft, as the flywheel and the output shaft of the gearbox are connected and rotating at the same speed.

Once we have the angular acceleration, we can use the equation Torque = Moment of Inertia x Angular Acceleration to calculate the torque needed to stop the flywheel. This torque will be the same at both ends of the shaft, as the flywheel and the output shaft are connected by the gearbox and experience the same angular acceleration.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Let me know if you have any further inquiries. Good luck with your calculations!

What is torque and why is it important in stopping a flywheel?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the case of a flywheel, torque is important in stopping it because it determines the amount of force needed to slow down or stop the rotation of the flywheel.

What factors affect the torque needed to stop a flywheel?

The torque needed to stop a flywheel is affected by the mass of the flywheel, the speed at which it is rotating, and the distance from the axis of rotation at which the force is applied.

How do you calculate the torque needed to stop a flywheel?

The formula for calculating torque needed to stop a flywheel is: Torque = Moment of Inertia x Angular Acceleration. Moment of inertia is the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation, and angular acceleration is the rate at which the flywheel's speed is changing. Both of these values can be determined through experimentation or by using mathematical equations.

What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (N*m) or foot-pounds (ft*lb). These units represent the amount of force (in newtons or pounds) applied at a certain distance from the axis of rotation (in meters or feet).

How can the torque needed to stop a flywheel be reduced?

The torque needed to stop a flywheel can be reduced by decreasing its mass, slowing down its rotation, or applying the force closer to the axis of rotation. Additionally, using more efficient bearings or lubricants can also reduce the torque needed to stop a flywheel.