Need help (sheet metal design question)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a drawing, specifically needing to know how much force is generated when a gap in a 1.5mm thick MS steel plate closes to 200mm. The conversation also mentions discrepancies in the diagram and the need for a cantilever large deflection problem to be solved. There is also a suggestion to translate the problem into a question about the torsor moment and a mention of needing the Young's modulus to calculate the force.
roshan1976
Hello everyone,

I have a problem and need your help or advice.

Kindly check the drawing and help me.

Need to know how much force is generated at the free end when the gap closes to 200mm.

The length of the plate is 650 where 50 is welded and 600 is the free end

Material is 1.5mm thk x 500 mm width MS Steel.

thanks in advance
regards
Roshan

Attachments

• help.gif
    help.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 443
Engineering news on Phys.org
It appears there are mistakes in your diagram. It appears 550 mm in your diagram should be 600 mm. And it appears 563 in your diagram should be 563.8 mm. You may want to correct the discrepancies. You also did not explain what "MS" means.

Nonetheless, you have a cantilever large deflection problem. Although this is not very good news, I have never seen a cantilever large deflection theory problem solved in a forum yet. Maybe I missed it. I would love to see an actual example worked out and solved.

Hi
I think that you can trasladate this problem like, ¿what is the torsor moment that you need to change the angle?
Sorry I don't speak english correctly.

In Spanish: El problema se reduce ha calcular el momento a aplicar en el extremo para hacer que el ángulo de 160º se transforme en 110º. Desconozco las propiedades del "MS" steel pero necesitas el módulo de Young para calcular la fuerza.

1. What is sheet metal design?

Sheet metal design is the process of creating a product or component using thin, flat pieces of metal called sheet metal. It involves designing, cutting, bending, and assembling the sheet metal to create a final product.

2. What are some common applications of sheet metal design?

Sheet metal design is commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, construction, and electronics. It is used to create a wide range of products including car bodies, airplane wings, building panels, and electronic enclosures.

3. What are the key factors to consider in sheet metal design?

The key factors to consider in sheet metal design include the material properties of the sheet metal, the design of the product, the manufacturing process, and the desired end-use of the product. It is important to consider factors such as strength, durability, and cost when designing with sheet metal.

4. What software is commonly used for sheet metal design?

There are various software programs that can be used for sheet metal design, such as SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and Inventor. These programs allow for 3D modeling and simulation of sheet metal designs, making it easier to design and test the product before manufacturing.

5. What are some common challenges in sheet metal design?

Some common challenges in sheet metal design include achieving the desired shape and dimensions, minimizing material waste, and ensuring structural integrity. It is also important to consider the manufacturability of the design, as certain shapes and features may be difficult or expensive to produce with sheet metal.