Finding Final Velocity of a Block Sliding Down a Ramp with Friction

In summary, the conversation involves a 10 kg block sliding down a 5m long ramp with a coefficient of friction of 0.4. The final velocity of the block at the bottom of the ramp is being calculated, with one person getting 6.3 m/s and another saying it should be 3.9 m/s. The correct value is determined to be 3.873 m/s, with the solution involving the forces in the x and y direction and the normal force. The mass of the block is not needed in the calculation.
akatsafa
A 10 kg block slides from rest down a 5m long ramp. If the coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp is 0.4, what is the final velocity of the block when it reaches the botton of the ramp?

I set this into two Fnet equations, x and y. I then solved for the acceleration in x which i got to be -3.92 m/s^2. However, I'm not getting the correct value for the final velocity. I'm getting 6.3 m/s, but it should be 3.9 m/s. Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle at the bottom of the ramp is 30 degrees.

akatsafa said:
I set this into two Fnet equations, x and y. I then solved for the acceleration in x which i got to be -3.92 m/s^2. However, I'm not getting the correct value for the final velocity. I'm getting 6.3 m/s, but it should be 3.9 m/s. Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
For one thing, your acceleration down the ramp is incorrect. Start by showing those equations for Fnet and how you solved them.

I have fnetx=ma=-uN...I have fnety=0=N-W..I then tried solving for acceleration...that's how I got -3.92.

Make sure you set up your axes such that the x-axis is the same as surface of the ramp and the y-axis perpendicular to it. This way it is much easier, you only have to break Fg into it's components. I'm not quite sure what you've set up for the net force in the x and y direction, however i notice that in the net force for the x direction you do not have gravity included. Here is what they should be however:
Fnetx = ma = Fgx - Fk(uFn) (force of gravity in the x direction - force of kinetic friction)
Fnety = ma = Fn - fgy (Normal force - Force of gravity in the y direction)

Also, I am not sure why you are given mass.. as you don't need it.

Angle of 30 degrees, U = 0.4, mass = 10kg, distance = 5m.

Resolving parallel force: 10GSin30 = 49N
Resolving opposite to plane, force: R - 10Gcos30 = 0, R = 84.87N
F = UR, F = .4x84.87 = 34N

49 - 34 = 10A
A = 1.5m/s/s.

u = 0, v = ?, s = 5, a = 1.5
v^2 = u^2 + 2as
?^2 = 2x5x1.5
V = 3.873 m/s.

Last edited:
akatsafa said:
I have fnetx=ma=-uN...I have fnety=0=N-W..I then tried solving for acceleration...that's how I got -3.92.
Assuming "x" means "parallel to the ramp" and "y" means "normal to the ramp", the forces in the x direction are the x-component of the weight (mg sin(30)) and the frictional force. So:
[tex]\sum F_x = -mg sin(30) + \mu N = ma[/tex]
And the forces in the y direction are the y-component of the weight (mg cos(30)) and the normal force. So:
[tex]\sum F_y = -mg cos(30) + N = 0[/tex]
Solve for N, then for a. As has been pointed out, the mass drops out and is not needed.

What is a block sliding down ramp?

A block sliding down ramp is an example of a simple physics problem in which a block or object moves down a ramp due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the speed of a block sliding down ramp?

The speed of a block sliding down ramp is affected by the angle of the ramp, the mass of the block, and the force of gravity. The steeper the ramp, the faster the block will slide down. A heavier block will also slide down faster than a lighter block. The force of gravity remains constant.

What is the equation for calculating the speed of a block sliding down ramp?

The equation for calculating the speed of a block sliding down ramp is v = √(2gh), where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the ramp.

How does friction affect a block sliding down ramp?

Friction between the block and the ramp will slow down the speed of the block as it slides down. The rougher the surface of the ramp, the more friction there will be.

Can the speed of a block sliding down ramp be greater than its initial speed?

No, the speed of a block sliding down ramp can never be greater than its initial speed. This is due to the conservation of energy principle, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. Therefore, the total energy of the block at the top of the ramp must be equal to or less than the total energy of the block at the bottom of the ramp.