What happens when I put cube and square doubles in a matrix?

In summary, the speaker has managed to construct a symmetric set of functions that can double an algebraic number, using a series with terms that can be replaced by a set of functions. They are wondering if these can be put into a matrix and what would happen, and if it has any relation to the "doubler" needed for the Rubik's cube. The conversation also delves into the concept of composition and decomposition, and the relationship between the two functions. The speaker is interested in the connections and ordering of the individual quotients in the two functions. They provide a table showing the number of positions that require a certain number of full and quarter twists, and mention that this is only one aspect of a larger domain.
noogies
I think I've managed to construct a symmetric set of functions, that let's a [tex] x, x^2, x^3\;[/tex] double an algebraic number.

I have a series that goes {6,9},{27,54} already. If I set x = 3, then I replace these terms with [tex]\; \{ 2x, x^2 \} ; \{ x^3, 2x^3 \} [/tex]
I have the series and a symmetric set of functions; can I put these in a matrix, and what happens if I do, I'm going to need matrix functions?

This is just something that fell out of a posted list of the first two sets of combinations for the pocket Rubik's cube - is it the "doubler" I need though? I mean, there it is...

ed: whoops, bracketed as it should be.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I had a thunk about this, and the problem per se, is about composition and decomposition.

If I start with a cube, I can see 3 faces of it; This is the first d/dx = 3 square products from a cube (product). Next d/dx on 3 squares (now disjoint) gets 6x, then x. That is, 3 squares decompose into 6 edges or nodes, then into a single "X" crossing remains in G.

Take 1 x and square it; double the square, and so on to re-integrate. The 2-sliced cube is obviously algebraic, there are [tex] (8-1)!3^7 [/tex] digits in the number, each is a squares product in a subgroup of squares.

But the next duple is {120,321} or {321,120} since the order of the "results" is irrelevant (each is independent functionally), and so is the operator order, except for the asymmetry: [tex] 3x^2 \;> 2x^3 [/tex], which implies a subtraction.

This makes sense because the outer function "looks ahead"; you can see in the chart for G that the two generators are out-of-phase at n > 0. The f o g must borrow states from q; q is the inner "algorithmic series" which is the most descent; f is least. Assume the first 15+m states for f and q are distinct, up to some value for n where borrowing means the f-list has connections to q's algebra and copies states. The f and q lists are also copies so they double |G|.

The physical cube isn't doubled its orientations are (for each crossing in X).

This is the list in question, which I believe is a density chart of the rationals in |G| = N-1.

There are 15 intervals (n) which is the same # as the values for f and q added together. The doubling of Q the quotient is seen in the two functions (full and quarter turns are "double" and "split" moves), that are out-of-phase from n = 1. These are two "path operators" because you can switch from f to q during a graph-walk. The connections between the individual quotients, and how this is ordered by n is what I'm interested in. The f gets ahead of the q function so it must borrow states from Q, or the inner quotient is generated in smaller intervals; at what point is the first congruence in f and q?

This is pursuant to reading up some papers, including Fowler's, some of Gardner's and Baez' online editorial about the symmetry groups and Rubik's especially. I realize this is only one aspect of a much larger domain.

Code:
The number f of positions that require n full twists and number q of positions that require n quarter turn twists are:
n 	f            q
0 	1            1
1 	9            6
2 	54           27
3 	321 	     120
4 	1847 	     534
5 	9992 	     2256
6 	50136 	     8969
7 	227536 	     33058
8 	870072       114149
9 	1887748      360508
10 	623800       930588
11 	2644         1350852
12                  782536
13                  90280
14                  276

1. What are cube and square doubles?

Cube and square doubles refer to the process of taking a number, cubing it (multiplying it by itself three times), and then squaring the result (multiplying it by itself again). This results in a number that is 8 times the original number.

2. How do you calculate cube and square doubles?

To calculate cube and square doubles, you first take a number and cube it (multiply it by itself three times). Then, you square the result (multiply it by itself again). This will give you a number that is 8 times the original number.

3. What is the significance of cube and square doubles?

Cube and square doubles are often used in math and science to simplify calculations involving large numbers. It can also be used to find the volume of a cube, as the volume of a cube is calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height (which are all the same for a cube).

4. Can cube and square doubles be applied to negative numbers?

Yes, cube and square doubles can be applied to negative numbers. The process is the same, except the resulting number will also be negative.

5. What are some real-life applications of cube and square doubles?

Cube and square doubles have many real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. For example, they can be used to calculate the volume of a cube-shaped container, determine the amount of energy needed for a chemical reaction, or calculate compound interest on an investment.