External Clock usage on a msp430 dev tool kit

• Thread starter vky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clock
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an external clock with a frequency of 10Mhz for a MSP430F417x microcontroller development kit. The method for driving the microcontroller with this external clock is usually done with an external crystal and two capacitors attached to the XTCLK pins. The conversation also mentions using a frequency synthesizer with a coax output to generate the 10Mhz signal. The person also requests any thoughts or experiences from those who have done something similar.
vky
Hi,

I'm currently working with a MSP430F417x micro controller development kit. I need to drive the microcontroller with an external clock with a frequency of 10Mhz, the datasheets and other manuals don't exactly specify how I can go about with this, although there is a connextion on the board which says XTCLK.

The 10Mhz signal is generated from an external frequency sysnthesiser which has a coax output.

I grealy appreciate any thoughts on this one especially if anyone has done something similar.

Regards,
v

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is usually done with an external crystal and two capacitors attached to the two XTCLK pins of a microcontroller.

http://www.micahcarrick.com/files/atmega8/tutorial_2/crystal.png

http://www.micahcarrick.com/05-12-2006/avr-tutorial-clock-source.html

Last edited by a moderator:
ivek

Hello Vivek,

Thank you for reaching out with your question regarding using an external clock on a MSP430 development kit. I can understand your frustration with the lack of specific instructions in the datasheets and manuals.

Firstly, it is important to note that the MSP430F417x microcontroller has multiple clock sources, including an internal oscillator and external clock options. The XTCLK pin on the development kit is specifically designed for connecting an external clock source.

To use an external clock with a frequency of 10Mhz, you will need to connect the XTCLK pin to the output of your frequency synthesizer using a coaxial cable. It is important to ensure that the voltage levels of the external clock are compatible with the input requirements of the XTCLK pin.

Once the external clock is connected, you will need to configure the microcontroller to use the external clock as the source for its system clock. This can be done by setting the appropriate bits in the clock control registers.

I recommend consulting the MSP430F417x datasheet and the development kit user manual for specific instructions on configuring the microcontroller for an external clock source. Additionally, you may find it helpful to reach out to the manufacturer or other users who have experience using external clocks with this development kit.

I wish you the best of luck with your project and I hope this information helps. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,

What is an external clock and why is it used on a msp430 dev tool kit?

An external clock is a device that generates a consistent and precise timing signal for a microcontroller, such as the msp430. It is used on a msp430 dev tool kit to provide a more accurate clock source than the internal clock, which can be affected by temperature and voltage fluctuations.

How do I connect an external clock to my msp430 dev tool kit?

To connect an external clock to your msp430 dev tool kit, you will need to identify the appropriate pins on the microcontroller and connect them to the clock signal. This information can be found in the microcontroller's datasheet. You may also need to adjust the configuration of the microcontroller to use the external clock source.

What are the benefits of using an external clock on a msp430 dev tool kit?

Using an external clock can provide more precise timing for your microcontroller, which can be important for certain applications. It can also reduce power consumption, as the internal clock may require more energy to maintain its accuracy.

Are there any drawbacks to using an external clock on a msp430 dev tool kit?

One potential drawback is that using an external clock may increase the complexity and cost of the system. Additionally, if the external clock source fails, the microcontroller may not function properly.

Can I use any type of external clock on my msp430 dev tool kit?

The msp430 is compatible with various types of external clocks, such as crystal oscillators, ceramic resonators, and clock modules. However, it is important to ensure that the clock source meets the specific requirements and voltage levels of the microcontroller. Refer to the datasheet for more information on compatible external clocks.