Anderson localization - waves experiment

In summary, Anderson localization is a phenomenon where waves become trapped in a disordered medium, preventing them from propagating. This can be observed in experiments by measuring the transmission or reflection of waves through a disordered medium. It has significant implications in fields such as condensed matter physics and optics, and can be controlled and manipulated by changing the properties of the medium. There are real-world applications of Anderson localization in fields such as optics, electronics, and acoustics.
saadsarfraz
I was doing this experiment with the setup which as follows. You have long aluminium bar which as 28 masses attached to bar evenly. The bar is vibrated at several different frequencies and we see a bunch of normal modes at particular frequencies. the collection of normal modes is called a band i can see the band gaps. my question is how do i find the fundamental frequency of this system? is there a mathematical formula to do this??

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what this has to do with Anderson localization.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Anderson localization experiment. The fundamental frequency of a system can be determined by finding the natural frequency of the system, which is the frequency at which the system vibrates with the least amount of external force. In the case of your experiment, the fundamental frequency would correspond to the lowest frequency at which the aluminium bar vibrates with the least amount of external force.

To find the fundamental frequency, you can use the mathematical formula for natural frequency, which is given by:

f = (1/2π)√(k/m)

Where f is the natural frequency, k is the spring constant of the system, and m is the mass of the vibrating object. In your experiment, the spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the bar by the displacement of the bar. The mass of the bar can be calculated by dividing the total mass of the bar and attached masses by the number of masses.

Once you have calculated the natural frequency, you can compare it to the frequencies at which the normal modes occur and determine the fundamental frequency of the system. This will help you understand the behavior of the system and the band gaps you observed.

I hope this helps answer your question and provides a better understanding of the fundamental frequency in your experiment. Keep up the good work in your research!

1. What is Anderson localization?

Anderson localization is a phenomenon in which waves, such as light or sound waves, become trapped in a disordered medium and are not able to propagate through it. This results in a localization of the waves and prevents them from spreading out.

2. How is Anderson localization observed in an experiment?

In an experiment, Anderson localization can be observed by measuring the transmission or reflection of waves through a disordered medium. When the medium is disordered enough, the waves will become localized and the transmission or reflection will decrease significantly.

3. What is the significance of Anderson localization in physics?

Anderson localization has important implications in various fields of physics, such as condensed matter physics and optics. It helps us understand how waves behave in disordered systems and has applications in the development of materials with specific properties, such as photonic crystals.

4. Can Anderson localization be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, Anderson localization can be controlled and manipulated by changing the properties of the disordered medium. By adjusting the disorder level or the wavelength of the waves, the localization effect can be enhanced or suppressed.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Anderson localization?

Yes, Anderson localization has potential applications in various fields, such as optics, electronics, and acoustics. It has been used to develop new types of lasers and optical devices, and is being studied for its potential in creating faster and more efficient electronic devices.