Advice of path to a PhD -starting from irrelevant BA

• Programs
  • Thread starter manhattan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path Phd
In summary, the individual wants to pursue graduate studies in mathematics but does not have enough math credits from their bachelor's degree. They are considering earning a second BA in mathematics or taking math courses as a non-degree seeker, followed by a master's degree and then a PhD in order to teach at the collegiate level. However, they acknowledge that competition for faculty positions is fierce and may consider teaching at community colleges or online universities instead. They are particularly interested in statistics as it may make them more marketable, but they also enjoy learning and are open to research opportunities.
manhattan
I have a bachelors degree in Media.

I want to pursue graduate studies in Mathematics (possibly statistics), but my BA has insufficient math credits for me to be accepted into any such program.

I am debating between earning a second BA in Mathematics and then sending applications to PhD programs or earning math credits as a non-degree seeker and then applying for a masters program so that I can then apply to PhD programs.

My constraints are time and money -as anyone else, I suppose. Except that I am already pretty mature, and if I take too long, it will be difficult to find work. Plus I am indebted for my B.A. as is. Also, right now, my only feasible options are online studies.

My overall goal and aspiration is first and foremost: I want to teach at the collegiate level.

I taught H.S. Math for 3 years, admittedly, under-qualified. Even so, I'd like to think I did a decent job. My style was to never teach a single formula but to ask my students the right questions that would lead them finding solution methods. I never had to teach beyond trigonometry, so I had mastery of what I was teaching.

In the process of refining my ability to ask the right questions, I realized that even though I had taken College Calculus and Matrix Algebra (immediately irrelevant to what I was teaching) I had to reteach myself the material I was responsible for -in a way different from the rote approach I was brought up in. It was in this training phase that I discovered that I enjoy mathematics.

I am currently teaching English abroad in a college; along with speaking I am teaching the equivalent of English 101 Composition. I enjoy this as well. In fact, this is how I've discovered that I want to teach at the collegiate level. I am competitive for the teaching position I have now, abroad. But if/when I am ready to go back home -stateside, even if I pursued graduate studies, competition would be terribly fierce.

And so I am at the point where I know that I want to teach in a college or university. As for the subject to teach, I think mathematics should allow me to be more competitive than English, especially ESL. I am particularly contemplating statistics because I would like to be more marketable than if I have a pure or applied mathematics degree, should I fail to achieve a tenure track position in a university
. As for the research aspect of professorship, I love learning, and I enjoy mathematics so I'm sure that on my way to completing a PhD I would be able to find some intriguing questions I would enjoy devoting my time to.

Sorry for the lengthy post -I might have gotten carried away in my efforts to being clear and thorough.

Physics news on Phys.org
manhattan said:
I am debating between earning a second BA in Mathematics and then sending applications to PhD programs or earning math credits as a non-degree seeker and then applying for a masters program so that I can then apply to PhD programs.

I think the latter two options are better. Also you might consider a Ph.D. in math education. That's one of the few fields in which there is a decent demand for faculty.

My overall goal and aspiration is first and foremost: I want to teach at the collegiate level.

People that go in for a Ph.D. should know that they are extremely unlikely to get a faculty position at a four year college. If you get a Ph.D. and insist on teaching, you will likely end up teaching at a community college, which can do with a masters degree.

Also, do not get a Ph.d. mainly for career reasons. The analogy that I use is that getting a Ph.D. is like joining the Marines. Yes it will help your career, but you will severely regret it if that is your main motivation.

But if/when I am ready to go back home -stateside, even if I pursued graduate studies, competition would be terribly fierce.

It really depends on what you want to do. If you enjoy teaching for the sake of teaching, there is really a huge demand for teachers at community colleges and in online universities such as the University of Phoenix. The catch is that they do not pay enough to live on. Also you can teach at those places with a Masters degree.

I am particularly contemplating statistics because I would like to be more marketable than if I have a pure or applied mathematics degree, should I fail to achieve a tenure track position in a university[/I]. As for the research aspect of professorship, I love learning, and I enjoy mathematics so I'm sure that on my way to completing a PhD I would be able to find some intriguing questions I would enjoy devoting my time to.

You almost certainly will not get a tenure track position at a major university. Nothing to do with your qualifications or the fact that you are non-traditional. It's just that anyone getting a Ph.D. needs to go in with the knowledge and belief that they will not end up as a professor. You *might* get a professorship, but you might get find a lottery ticket for a million dollars.

I can understand your desire to pursue a PhD in mathematics or statistics, and your concerns about your current BA in Media not being sufficient for acceptance into such programs. It is commendable that you are considering your options and seeking advice on the best path to achieve your goals.

Given your constraints of time, money, and the need to find employment in the near future, I would recommend pursuing a non-degree option to earn the necessary math credits. This will allow you to gain the required knowledge and skills in a shorter amount of time and at a potentially lower cost. You can then apply for a master's program in mathematics or statistics, which would make you a more competitive candidate for PhD programs.

As for your choice between a pure or applied mathematics degree, I would suggest considering your long-term career goals. If you are primarily interested in teaching at the collegiate level, a pure mathematics degree may be more suitable as it will provide a strong foundation in the theoretical aspects of mathematics. However, if you are also interested in pursuing opportunities outside of academia, such as in industry or research, an applied mathematics degree may offer more versatility and marketability.

Additionally, I would encourage you to continue exploring your interest in mathematics through self-study and online courses. This will not only help you prepare for a graduate program, but also allow you to further develop your skills and knowledge in the subject.

Lastly, I appreciate your passion for teaching and your approach of using questions to guide students towards finding solutions. This is a valuable skill in any field, and I have no doubt that with your dedication and enthusiasm, you will be successful in achieving your goal of teaching at the collegiate level.

Best of luck on your journey towards a PhD in mathematics or statistics. Your determination and willingness to explore different options will surely lead you towards a fulfilling career.

1. What is the path to obtaining a PhD after completing an irrelevant BA degree?

The path to obtaining a PhD after completing an irrelevant BA degree can vary depending on the individual's academic background and goals. However, the general steps are to gain relevant research experience, take prerequisite coursework, and apply to PhD programs in the desired field.

2. Can I pursue a PhD in a field unrelated to my BA degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in a field that is unrelated to your BA degree. However, it may require additional coursework and research experience to make the transition to a new field. It is important to carefully research and consider the requirements and expectations of the specific PhD program you are interested in.

3. How important is research experience for gaining admission to a PhD program?

Research experience is a crucial component for gaining admission to a PhD program. It demonstrates your commitment to your chosen field, as well as your ability to conduct independent research. It is highly recommended to gain research experience through internships, volunteer work, or independent projects before applying to PhD programs.

4. Are there any alternative paths to a PhD besides traditional graduate programs?

Yes, there are alternative paths to a PhD besides traditional graduate programs. Some options include enrolling in a combined master's and PhD program, pursuing a research-based job in your field of interest, or working as a research assistant for a professor. It is important to research and consider all options to find the best fit for your goals and interests.

5. How can I make my irrelevant BA degree relevant for a PhD program?

There are several ways to make your irrelevant BA degree relevant for a PhD program. You can take relevant coursework, gain research experience in your desired field, and highlight transferable skills and knowledge in your application. It may also be helpful to reach out to professors or professionals in your desired field for advice and guidance.