Books detailing Bell's inequality derivation

In summary, suggestions for books containing a derivation of Bell inequalities in quantum mechanics include J.S. Bell's "Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics" and L.E. Ballentine's "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development". Additionally, Peres' "Quantum Theory: Concepts and Methods" is available online and Isham's book also includes a derivation. There are also various online sources for derivations.
The thinker
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend me a book (preferably available as an ebook) which details the derivation of the QM version of the inequality.

I've been studying the relevant maths and now I'm going to finally sit down and do the derivation. I can go through it alone but having a guide/reference would be nice!

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend the following books that, among other things, contain a derivation of Bell inequalities:
1. J. S. Bell, Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics (Cambridge, 1987).
2. L. E. Ballentine, Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development (World Scientific Publishing, 2000).
I recommend these books for many other reasons as well.

Demystifier gives some great books as reference. If you don't have access to those, you might also try this which is available online (Peres, 2002):

http://www.fisica.net/quantica/Peres%20-%20Quantum%20Theory%20Concepts%20and%20Methods.pdf

There are some other derivations online that are not part of books. Let me know if you are interested in some. There are a lot of different approaches that get you to a similar spot.

I like Isham's derivation: 215, 216. (That's a very good book by the way, so you should consider getting it).

1. What is Bell's inequality and why is it important in quantum mechanics?

Bell's inequality is a mathematical expression that tests the validity of local realism in quantum mechanics. It is important because it provides a way to experimentally test the nature of reality at the quantum level.

2. How was Bell's inequality derived?

Bell's inequality was derived by Irish physicist John Stewart Bell in 1964. He used a thought experiment involving two entangled particles to mathematically show the difference between local realism and quantum mechanics.

3. What are some key assumptions made in the derivation of Bell's inequality?

Some key assumptions in the derivation of Bell's inequality include the existence of local hidden variables, the principle of locality, and the assumption of counterfactual definiteness.

4. What are some implications of violating Bell's inequality?

If Bell's inequality is violated, it would mean that local realism is not a valid way to understand the quantum world. This would have significant implications for our understanding of reality and could potentially lead to new theories and technologies.

5. How has the study of Bell's inequality impacted the field of quantum mechanics?

The study of Bell's inequality has had a major impact on the field of quantum mechanics. It has provided a way to test the validity of local realism and has led to a better understanding of the nature of reality at the quantum level. It has also inspired further research and advancements in quantum technology.