Calculating Theta for Fixed Spring Motion

In summary: I think the summary will be:In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rotating spring and a ball attached to it. The goal is to find an expression for the angle that the spring makes with the vertical, taking into account various factors such as mass, spring constant, and angular velocity. Newton's 2nd law is applied to vertical and horizontal forces, and the length of the spring is also considered. The resulting expression for theta may be complex, but it is a possible solution to the problem.
vladimir69
hello there
consider a spring that is fixed to a point (i have tried to draw a picture, so to make it clearer as to what i am talking about) that rotates anti clockwise in a horizontal fashion. there is a ball on the end of the spring with mass m, the spring has spring constant k and unstretched length L and the ball moves with angular velocity omega
i am trying to find an expression for theta, the angle that the spring makes with the vertical, as a function of L, w, k, m and g.
me being a maths student and not a physics student just treated this as simaltaneous equations and plugging some stuff together using

W=F*s *cos(theta)
F=m*v^2/L where v is the velocity perpendicular to the centripetal force
F=-k*theta

after a bit of algebra we get that
cos(theta)=-k/(L^2*m*omega^2)
of course one can arrange for theta but i am not sure if this expression is correct, more than likely it is wrong. so if someone could shed some lighton the matter it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Attachments

• spring.JPG
    spring.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's how I would approach this problem. Apply Newton's 2nd law to the vertical and horizontal forces on the mass:
[itex]T sin\theta = mg[/itex], where T is the tension in the spring
[itex]T cos\theta = m\omega^2 R[/itex], where R is the radius of circle
Combine this with what you know about the spring: its length is L + T/k, thus [itex]R = (L + T/k)sin\theta[/itex].

You should be able to solve this for for [itex]\theta[/itex], but it looks messy.

thanks for the helpful advice

Question 1: What is theta in fixed spring motion?

Theta, also known as angular displacement, is the change in angle of a rotating object in fixed spring motion. It is measured in radians or degrees and can be calculated using various formulas.

Question 2: How do you calculate theta for fixed spring motion?

To calculate theta, you will need to know the initial angle, angular velocity, and time. The formula for calculating theta is theta = initial angle + (angular velocity x time). However, if the angular velocity is not constant, you will need to use a different formula such as theta = initial angle + (average angular velocity x time).

Question 3: What is the unit of measurement for theta?

The unit of measurement for theta depends on the system of measurement being used. In the SI system, theta is measured in radians, while in the imperial system, it is measured in degrees.

Question 4: Can theta be negative in fixed spring motion?

Yes, theta can be negative in fixed spring motion. A negative theta indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the initial angle. A positive theta indicates that the object is rotating in the same direction as the initial angle.

Question 5: How does changing the spring's stiffness affect theta in fixed spring motion?

The spring's stiffness, also known as the spring constant, affects theta by changing the force exerted on the object and therefore changing its angular velocity. A higher spring stiffness will result in a higher angular velocity and a larger theta, while a lower spring stiffness will result in a lower angular velocity and a smaller theta.