Centripetal acceleration and velocity derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses the incorrect derivation of the centripetal acceleration formula and suggests reading a resource for the correct derivation.
3hlang
in physics, I've been taught that centripetal acceleration is given by v^2/r, but when i try to derive it myself, i get a=2v^2/(pi*r). i said that if the time period is T, after a time of T/4, the velocity would be going in the next direction, i said west to south, and this gives the equation a=4v/T, i then said that T=2*pi*r/v, so a=2v^2/(pi*r). how do you derive the known equation? please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
3hlang said:
in physics, I've been taught that centripetal acceleration is given by v^2/r, but when i try to derive it myself, i get a=2v^2/(pi*r). i said that if the time period is T, after a time of T/4, the velocity would be going in the next direction, i said west to south, and this gives the equation a=4v/T, i then said that T=2*pi*r/v, so a=2v^2/(pi*r). how do you derive the known equation? please help me?
Several problems here. First, by taking a quarter of a circle you are only able to calculate the average acceleration during that time interval, aave = Δv/Δt. You want the instantaneous acceleration, not the average. Second, you found the average acceleration for a quarter circle incorrectly; Δv ≠ v.

To learn how the centripetal acceleration formula is derived, read this: http://dev.physicslab.org/Document....e=CircularMotion_CentripetalAcceleration.xml"

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and efforts in deriving the equation for centripetal acceleration. It is always commendable to see students taking an active role in understanding and questioning the concepts they are taught.

The equation for centripetal acceleration, a=v^2/r, is a fundamental equation in physics and has been derived and proven through various methods. The most common method is by using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration (F=ma).

In the case of an object moving in a circular path, there is a constant force acting towards the center of the circle, called the centripetal force. This force is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion. Therefore, we can write the equation F=ma as:

Fc = ma

Where Fc is the centripetal force and a is the centripetal acceleration.

Now, we also know that the centripetal force is equal to the product of the mass of the object, its velocity squared, and the radius of the circular path (Fc = mv^2/r). Substituting this into F=ma, we get:

mv^2/r = ma

Solving for a, we get:

a = v^2/r

This is the same equation that you have derived, so your method is correct. However, there are a few things to note:

1. In your derivation, you have assumed that the time period T is equal to the time taken for the object to travel a quarter of the circle (T/4). This is not always the case. The time period is the time taken for the object to complete one full revolution, which is equal to the circumference of the circle divided by the velocity (T=2πr/v). This is why your final equation has a factor of 2 in the denominator.

2. Your method assumes that the velocity changes direction after a quarter of the circle, which is not always the case. In fact, the velocity of the object is constantly changing direction as it moves along the circular path, but its magnitude remains constant.

I hope this explanation helps you understand how the equation for centripetal acceleration is derived. Keep up the good work in questioning and understanding the concepts of physics!

Best regards,
Scientist

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that is directed towards the center of a circular motion. It is the change in velocity of an object as it moves in a circular path.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular path, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent of the circular path. These two types of acceleration are perpendicular to each other.

4. How does centripetal acceleration relate to centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration is caused by centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. The magnitude of the centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the magnitude of the centripetal force.

5. What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and velocity?

Centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the square of the velocity of the object. This means that as the velocity increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases. However, the direction of the centripetal acceleration is always towards the center of the circular path, regardless of the velocity.