Rocket problem (time is wrong )

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a test rocket being fired vertically upward from a well. The rocket is given an initial speed of 80.0 m/s at ground level by a catapult, and then accelerates upward at 4.00 m/s^2 until it reaches an altitude of 1000m. Its engines fail at that point and the rocket goes into free fall with an acceleration of -9.80 m/s^2. The conversation discusses how to find the time the rocket is in motion above the ground, its maximum altitude, and its velocity just before it collides with the Earth. The attempt at solving the problem is shown, but the calculated time of 22.2 seconds is different from
jwxie
rocket problem (time is wrong!)

Homework Statement

A test rocket is fired vertically upward from a well. A catapult gives it an initial speed of 80.0 m/s at ground level. Its engines then fire and it accelerates upward at 4.00 m/s^2 until it reaches an altitude of 1000m. At that point its engines fail, and the rocket goes into free fall, with an acceleration of -9.80 m/s^2. (You will need to consider the motion while the engine is operating separate from the free-fall motion.)

a) How long is the rocket in motion above the ground?

b) What is its maximum altitude?

c) What is its velocity just before it collides with the Earth?

Homework Equations

assuming constant a
Vf = Vi + at
Xf = Xi + 1/2(Vi + Vf)t
Xf = Xi + Vit + 1/2 at^2
V = Vi + Vf / 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the problem very well, but my answer didn't come out right. Let's do question A.

We find the final velocity at the moment the engine right before or at that instance it fails. So Vf (eng) = Vi (free fall upward).

Now we are given 1000m for the engine, so we can solve it this way
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a(Xf - Xi) and let Xf = 1000m, and a = +4m/s^2 , and I got
Vf = 120m/s

Now solve for t (how long it takes to get up to 1000)
Vf = Vi + at
I got 120 = 80 + 4t, so t = 10s

So we have Vi (free fall upward) = 120m/s
let's solve for t
Vf = Vi + at
0 = 120 + -9.8 * t
t = 12.2

According to the book, the answer is 41.0s but now i only have 22.2 second

How come?

Physics news on Phys.org
jwxie said:
a) How long is the rocket in motion above the ground?

So we have Vi (free fall upward) = 120m/s
let's solve for t
Vf = Vi + at
0 = 120 + -9.8 * t
t = 12.2

According to the book, the answer is 41.0s but now i only have 22.2 second

Hi jwxie! :smile:

Come down … you're still only at the top. :wink:

LOL tiny-tim...

no comment LMAO

thanks brother!

1. What is the rocket problem (time is wrong)?

The rocket problem (time is wrong) is a hypothetical scenario where a rocket's clock is not synchronized with the observer's clock, causing discrepancies in the perceived time and actual time of the rocket's journey.

2. How is the rocket problem (time is wrong) relevant in space travel?

This problem is relevant in space travel because it affects the accuracy of calculations and predictions made by scientists and engineers. It can also impact the safety of the spacecraft and its crew.

3. What causes the time discrepancy in the rocket problem?

The time discrepancy in the rocket problem is caused by the effects of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity. According to this theory, time is relative and can be affected by factors such as speed and gravity.

4. Can the rocket's clock be synchronized with the observer's clock?

Yes, the rocket's clock can be synchronized with the observer's clock through various methods such as adjusting the speed of the rocket or using specialized equipment to compensate for the time discrepancy.

5. How do scientists account for the rocket problem (time is wrong) in their calculations?

Scientists account for the rocket problem in their calculations by incorporating the theory of special relativity and using specialized equations to adjust for the time discrepancy. They also conduct thorough testing and analysis to ensure the accuracy of their calculations.