Can I Pursue Different Graduate Studies After Completing Undergraduate Studies?

In summary: The summary is: After obtaining a bachelor of physics, it is possible to go onto mathematics graduate studies. However, there will be areas of mathematics that will be inaccessible to you if you have not covered introductory mathematics in enough detail.
hellbike
Is it possible to apply for graduate studies in other specialization that under-graduate studies were passed?

After obtaining bachelor of physics i may want to go on mathematics graduate studies - is this possible?

I'm asking about EU countries, mostly about UK.

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, yes, there are some crossover topics that will be available to you. Mathematics is a particularly tricky area to handle, however: there will be lots of areas (notably pure mathematics) that will be inaccessible because you won't have covered the necessary introductary mathematics in nearly enough detail (if at all).

In short, rather than depending on the overall 'subject', graduate studies depend on the way in which the skills you have gained from undergraduate might apply to the topic of study.

For instance, in a Ph.D you'd be able to do something like mathematical biology; where the relevant life-science background knowledge would normally be covered in a crash-course of sorts (possibly through attendance at low level undergraduate lectures). This is feasible because projects of this nature will potentially require only a basic understanding of biology to get underway, but need skills in things such as programming - something that you will have as a physicist.

If by graduate studies you also mean things like Msc/PgDip/PgCert, the scenario is similar. It depends on the topic of the individual course. If there's something you're interested in i'd recommend simply looking around various universities that have active research in that area, checking out their postgraduate prospectus' and finding out what they require for entry.

Is there a particular area that interests you?

I don't know if this applies to the UK, but I know that some EU countries are a lot less flexible when it comes to switching fields. Math - and pure math in particular - is one of those fields where universities insist on all of the prerequisites. Most universities in the German speaking part of Europe would ask you to complete a Bachelor's degree in math first before they would admit you for a Master's, and a Master's before they would let you start working on a PhD.

I'm going to study math on my own during my physical studies.

But i don't think i'll be able to tell what field in pure math is more interesting for me.

I don't think i will be able to tell that for physics either, even though i study that on university.

I though undergraduate is about obtaining most basic knowledge.

Yes, it is possible to pursue different graduate studies after completing undergraduate studies. In fact, many students choose to pursue a different field of study for their graduate studies compared to their undergraduate studies. This can be a great way to expand your knowledge and skills, and can also open up new career opportunities.

In the UK, as well as other EU countries, there are typically no restrictions on applying for graduate studies in a different specialization than your undergraduate studies. However, it is important to note that some programs may require specific prerequisite courses or knowledge in order to be accepted. It is always a good idea to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in and make sure you meet them before applying.

Additionally, some universities may give preference to applicants who have a background in the same field as their graduate program. However, this is not always the case and many universities value diversity and a well-rounded education.

In summary, it is possible to apply for graduate studies in a different specialization than your undergraduate studies in the EU, including the UK. However, it is important to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in and make sure you are prepared to meet them.

1. What types of graduate studies are available?

There are various types of graduate studies, including master's degrees and doctoral degrees. Within these categories, there are also different fields of study such as science, humanities, social sciences, and more specialized areas like law or business.

2. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree?

The length of time to complete a graduate degree varies depending on the type of degree and the individual program. Typically, master's degrees take 1-2 years to complete, while doctoral degrees can take 4-7 years. However, there are also options for accelerated programs or part-time study.

3. What is the difference between a thesis and a dissertation?

A thesis is typically required for a master's degree and is a research project that demonstrates a student's knowledge and understanding of their field of study. A dissertation, on the other hand, is a more extensive research project required for a doctoral degree. It is often more in-depth and contributes original research to the field.

4. How do I decide which graduate program is right for me?

Choosing the right graduate program can be a challenging decision. It is important to consider your interests, career goals, and the specific program requirements and curriculum. Researching different programs and speaking with current students or alumni can also provide valuable insights.

5. Can I work while pursuing a graduate degree?

Many students choose to work while pursuing a graduate degree, whether through part-time jobs or research assistantships. However, it is important to carefully consider the time commitments and balance them with your academic workload. Some programs may also have restrictions on outside employment.