How many even subsets are there?

• Thread starter xnull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subsets
Thus, the number of even subsets is also 2^{m-1}, since there are an equal number of odd subsets. In summary, given a finite set S of cardinality m, there are 2^{m-1} even subsets and odd subsets. This can be deduced from the fact that the number of subsets with k elements is given by \binom{m}{k}, and the total number of subsets is 2m, using the binomial theorem.
xnull
Given a finite set [tex]S[/tex] of cardinality m:
Decide how many even or odd subsets there are of S (finding one should give you the other).

Here is what I've done so far.

First, I looked to a multiplication out by hand.

(m * (m-1)) + (m * (m-1) * (m-2) * (m-3)) + (m * (m-1) * (m-2) * (m-3) * (m-4) * (m-5)) + ...

Well, I noticed I could factor (m * (m-1)) out which gives

(m * (m-1)) * (1 + ((m-2) * (m-3)) + ((m-2) * (m-3) * (m-4) * (m-5)) + ...)

Inside the second group of parenteses I noticed I could factor out ((m-2) * (m-3)) and so on

(m * (m-1)) * (1 + ((m-2) * (m-3) * (1 + ((m-4) * (m-5) * (1 + ... )))))))

Because this was a tad ugly I made a recurrence relation from it

[tex]R_{k} = 0[/tex]
[tex]R_{i} = (m-2i)(m-2i-1)(1+R_{i+1})[/tex]
[tex]R_{0}[/tex] would give the solution for the number of even subsets.

I can't seem to find the closed form.

This is the only direction I've gone with the problem so far.

Does anyone have any directions to go on this or a previously published solution to the problem? I looked all over and couldn't find one but it's the kind of problem I would expect to have already been solved.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved it.

Heh. Silly to have missed it.

[tex]2^{m-1}[/tex] even subsets and odd subsets.

Remember that the number of subsets (of a set with m elements) with k elements is given by:

[tex]\binom{m}{k}[/tex]

Now, from the binomial theorem (or the fact that there are as many odd subsets as even ones) and the fact that the total number of subsets is 2m, you should be able to deduce that the number of odd subsets is:

[tex]\sum_{k\;odd}\binom{m}{k}=2^{m-1}[/tex]

What is the definition of a subset?

A subset is a set that contains elements from a larger set. It can be smaller or equal in size to the larger set, and all elements in the subset must also be present in the larger set.

What is an even subset?

An even subset is a subset that contains an even number of elements.

What is an odd subset?

An odd subset is a subset that contains an odd number of elements.

How do you determine the number of even subsets in a given set?

The number of even subsets in a given set can be determined by using the formula 2^(n-1), where n is the number of elements in the set. This is because for every element in the set, there are two possibilities - it can either be included in the subset or not. Therefore, for n elements, there will be 2^n possible subsets, but half of them will have an odd number of elements, leaving 2^(n-1) even subsets.

How do you determine the number of odd subsets in a given set?

The number of odd subsets in a given set can also be determined by using the formula 2^(n-1), as explained in the previous question. However, in this case, the number of odd subsets will be the same as the number of even subsets, since for every element in the set, there is an equal chance of it being included or not in the subset. Therefore, the number of odd subsets will also be 2^(n-1).