X-component of angular momentum, Lx, acting on |n,l,m>

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigen value of Lx when applied to a mixed state |n,l,m>. The equations L+-=Lx+-iLy and L2=Lx2+Ly2+Lz2 are mentioned, as well as the equation Lz|n,l,m>=mhbar|n,l,m> and L|n,l,m>=l(l+1)hbar2|n,l,m>. The solution is suggested to express Lx in terms of L+ and L- and then operate on |n,l,m> to find the eigen value.
samee

Homework Statement

I need to know what the eigen value of Lx would be if, Lx|n,l,m>.

Homework Equations

L+-=Lx+-iLy
L2=Lx2+Ly2+Lz2
Lz|n,l,m>=mhbar|n,l,m>
L|n,l,m>=l(l+1)hbar2|n,l,m>

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a mixed state I need to apply Lx tp, but I'm not sure how! If anyone known how to put this in terms of L, Lz, or L+-, I would really appreciate the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Express Lx in terms of L+ and L -, then operate on |n,l,m> and see what you get.

Last edited:

1. What is the X-component of angular momentum, Lx?

The X-component of angular momentum, Lx, refers to the component of angular momentum along the X-axis in a three-dimensional coordinate system. This component is used to describe the rotational motion of an object or system.

2. How is the X-component of angular momentum, Lx, calculated?

The X-component of angular momentum, Lx, is calculated using the formula Lx = Ixω, where Ix is the moment of inertia along the X-axis and ω is the angular velocity about the X-axis.

3. What is the significance of the X-component of angular momentum, Lx?

The X-component of angular momentum, Lx, is significant because it is one of the three components (along with Ly and Lz) that make up the total angular momentum of an object or system. It is also important in determining the orientation of an object's angular momentum in space.

4. How does the X-component of angular momentum, Lx, change in a closed system?

In a closed system, the X-component of angular momentum, Lx, remains constant if there are no external torques acting on the system. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

5. How is the X-component of angular momentum, Lx, related to the quantum number |n, l, m> in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the X-component of angular momentum, Lx, is related to the quantum number m, which represents the projection of the angular momentum along the X-axis. This number can take on values from -l to l, where l is the orbital angular momentum quantum number.