Recommended mathematics classes for studying solid state devices/physics

In summary, mathematics may be an area of concern for someone who has completed a degree in Computer Engineering. Recommendations for additional mathematics courses or disciplines may be beneficial.
humanjigsaw
I recently completed a degree in Computer Engineering and am looking to pursue a Masters and eventually a PhD in Electrical Engineering; specifically in solid state devices. One of my concerns is the potential lack of knowledge in mathematics I may have. As a Computer Engineering undergrad I took the classes in Calculus, Ordinary Differential Equations, Linear Algebra and Finite Math (CmpE obviously not being as mathematics intensive as a degree in EE).

I'd like to know from fellow physics/EE graduate students if there are any advanced mathematics classes/disciplines you would recommend knowing.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
partial differential equations, modern/quantum physics

I'd highly recommend taking taking some numerical analysis courses (complex and real number systems). My boss has an M.Sc. in EE and he has mentioned on a number of occasions just how beneficial his (complex & real) analysis courses were. There may be a course which is more introductory; covering the theory of calculus of functions of one variable. Check with your maths department.

Dembadon said:
I'd highly recommend taking taking some numerical analysis courses (complex and real number systems). My boss has an M.Sc. in EE and he has mentioned on a number of occasions just how beneficial his (complex & real) analysis courses were. There may be a course which is more introductory; covering the theory of calculus of functions of one variable. Check with your maths department.

Wait, are you recommending numerical analysis or real analysis?

Numerical analysis is certainly important (I recommend it too), but I have a hard time seeing how anything in an abstract real analysis course taught by a math department has anything to do with engineering.

union68 said:
Wait, are you recommending numerical analysis or real analysis?

Numerical analysis is certainly important (I recommend it too), but I have a hard time seeing how anything in an abstract real analysis course taught by a math department has anything to do with engineering.

Sorry for the confusion! :redface:

When he said 'numerical analysis,' I assumed he was talking about complex and real analysis. The mistake is mine.

It's cool, I just thought maybe I was missing something. I know that the theory of Fourier series is taught in real analysis, and that can most certainly be applied, but...

Numerical is definitely important. My course covered numerical ODEs, PDEs, non-linear systems, numerical linear algebra, etc. It was required for MEs and a couple other engineering majors.

Thanks for all the replies! I am teaching myself PDE at the moment. My next task is to enroll in a class that delves into numerical analysis. Reading a number of solid state/semiconductor physics textbooks I can already see the value of having knowledge in numerical analysis.

Keep those suggestions coming!

1. What is the recommended level of mathematics for studying solid state devices/physics?

The recommended level of mathematics for studying solid state devices/physics is typically calculus-based mathematics, including differential and integral calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Some knowledge of advanced mathematical topics such as vector calculus and complex analysis may also be beneficial.

2. Do I need prior knowledge of mathematics to study solid state devices/physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for studying solid state devices/physics. This includes a thorough understanding of algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and basic calculus. Without this background knowledge, it may be difficult to understand the complex mathematical models and concepts used in the field.

3. Can I study solid state devices/physics without a strong background in mathematics?

While a strong background in mathematics is highly recommended, it is possible to study solid state devices/physics without it. However, it may require extra effort and dedication to catch up on the necessary mathematical concepts and principles.

4. Are there any specific math courses that are particularly important for studying solid state devices/physics?

As mentioned earlier, calculus-based mathematics is crucial for studying solid state devices/physics. In addition, courses in differential equations, linear algebra, and vector calculus are also highly beneficial. Some universities may also offer specialized courses in mathematical methods for solid state physics.

5. How can I improve my mathematical skills for studying solid state devices/physics?

Practicing and reviewing basic mathematical concepts is the best way to improve your skills for studying solid state devices/physics. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial. It is also important to continuously apply mathematical principles to real-world problems in the field of solid state devices/physics.