Methods to accuractly measure capacitance

In summary, the UTI technique is a high accuracy method that uses a frequency locked or phase-locked-loops to measure capacitance.
Topher925
I need to measure the capacitance of something as accurately and as quickly as possible. I also need the method to be very noise tolerant and not depend upon signal attenuation. I've been looking at several different methods so far on how to do this and so far I have found methods like the UTI technique, and using frequency locked or phase-locked-loops. Does anyone know how those high accuracy capacitance meters work or know of any commonly used methods to measure capacitance?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some of those Agilent Impedance analyzers are crazy. They measure capacitance with femto-farad accuracy. Check out some of their app notes on their website.

One method that was used in older HP impedance analyzers is by using an Auto-Balance Bridge.

Basically there is a variable power AC source, voltage difference amplifier between the unknown impedance, and a trans-impedance amplifier that converts current into voltage.

By using feedback loop, the CPU can set up a constant voltage source over an unknown impedance and measure current flowing into it, or a constant current source and measure voltage across the unknown impedance.

Now there are two AC voltages. One is proportional to voltage across impedance, and the other is proportional to current.

The ratio between these voltages it taken using another complicated feedback, IQ demodulator to separate the phases, and feed everything to ADCs and the CPU.

The advantage of this method is that is gets rid of any effects of ESR, and stray inductances

Last edited:
Yes. you need a capactance bridge.
The ones we use for routine measurement where I work are easy to use and very reliable, while still being -as far as I know- the most accurate capacitance meters you can buy.
(they are made by Andeen-Hagerling); for more accurate measurements we have other systems but they we are talking about VERY specialized equipment (which are still based on bridges).

Also, do you need to know the relative change (fairly easy) or absolute (not so easy) capacitance?
At what frequency? kHz is easy, hundreds of MHz is not so easy...

hi, you can use capacitance bridge, resolution limit is 0.5 attofarad.

What is capacitance and why is it important to measure accurately?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is important to measure accurately because it allows us to understand and control electronic systems, such as in circuit design and power management.

What are the different methods used to measure capacitance?

There are several methods, including direct measurement using a capacitance meter, indirect measurement using an RC circuit, and bridge methods such as the Wheatstone bridge or the Schering bridge.

What factors can affect the accuracy of capacitance measurements?

Factors such as temperature, humidity, stray capacitance, and parasitic capacitance can all affect the accuracy of capacitance measurements. It is important to control and account for these factors when conducting measurements.

How do I choose the appropriate method for measuring capacitance?

The method chosen depends on the specific application and desired level of accuracy. Direct measurement is the most accurate but may not be feasible for large capacitors. Indirect methods are more practical for larger capacitors, while bridge methods are useful for very precise measurements.

Are there any precautions I should take when measuring capacitance?

Yes, when measuring capacitance, it is important to properly calibrate the equipment and account for any external factors that may affect the accuracy of the measurement. It is also important to use appropriate safety measures when working with high voltage capacitors.