Find integrating factor and solve the equation 3

In summary, this conversation discusses solving the differential equation y' + y = e^x with initial condition y(0) = 1. The integrating factor is calculated to be e^x, and it is multiplied with the differential equation. After some algebraic steps, the solution is found to be y = 1/2 e^x + C, with C representing the constant of integration. The conversation then points out a mistake made in the last step and discusses when to solve for the value of C.
naspek
y' + y = e^x ; y(0) = 1

1st, i calculate the integrating factor...
u(x) = e^x

times the integrating factor with DE...

y'e^x + ye^x = e^2x

dy/dx e^x + ye^x = e^2x

d/dx ye^x = e^2x

ye^x = ∫ e^2x dx
...= 1/2 e^2x + C

y = 1/2 e^x + C

the problem here, i didn't get the answer given which is..
y = 1/2 (e^x + e^-x)

Physics news on Phys.org
You made an algebra mistake in the last step when solving for y.

ok.. here is my mistake...
ye^x = ∫ e^2x dx
...= 1/2 e^2x + C

so.. when am i going to solve C value?

naspek said:
ok.. here is my mistake...
ye^x = ∫ e^2x dx
...= 1/2 e^2x + C

so.. when am i going to solve C value?

Up to there is correct. Your error was in the very last step you wrote when you solved for y.

You can solve for C any time you want. Most of the time, it's done as the final step.

What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function that is used to solve a differential equation by multiplying it with the equation. This helps to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

How do you find the integrating factor?

To find the integrating factor, you must first identify the type of differential equation you are dealing with. Then, you can use various methods such as the method of variation of parameters or the method of undetermined coefficients to determine the integrating factor.

Why is it important to find the integrating factor?

Integrating factors are important because they allow us to solve difficult differential equations that cannot be solved using basic methods. They help to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve, saving time and effort.

What are some common techniques for solving equations using integrating factors?

Some common techniques for solving equations using integrating factors include the method of variation of parameters, the method of undetermined coefficients, and the method of separation of variables. Each of these methods has its own advantages and is used for different types of differential equations.

Can integrating factors be used for all types of differential equations?

No, integrating factors can only be used for certain types of differential equations, such as first-order linear equations and certain types of non-linear equations. They cannot be used for higher-order differential equations or equations with non-constant coefficients.