Moment of inertia of disc plus point mass at centre

In summary: I'd probably say "In summary, the moment of inertia of a uniform disc with radius a and mass m rotating about an axis tangental to the disc and in the plane of the disc, with a point mass m at the center of the disc, is (9/8)ma^2. The period of oscillations will decrease by a factor of √(9/10) when the point mass is added.")
indie452

Homework Statement

A uniform disc radius a, mass m
there is rotation about an axis (z) tangental to the disc and in the plane of the disc.
a point mass m is placed at the centre of the disc.

what is the new moment about the axis z

also show that the period of oscillations will decrease by SQRT(9/10) when the point mass is added

The Attempt at a Solution

moment of inertia of just the disc i found to be = (5/4)ma^2
period before point mass added =

T=2pi/w = 2pi*sqrt(m/k)
torque = r x F = mga sin(theta) but we are told small angle approx applies so = mga*theta
also F=k*theta
so k = mga

therefore T = 2pi*sqrt(m/mga) anf because of rotation the m on top = I about z axis
so T = 2pi*sqrt(I/mga) = 2pi*sqrt(5a/4g)

I don't know how to get the I when point mass has been added.

also is the new torque = 2mga * theta so that k = 2mga ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi indie452! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a theta: θ and an omega: ω and an alpha: α and a tau: τ and a square-root: √ :wink:)
indie452 said:
I don't know how to get the I when point mass has been added.

Moment of inertia is additive (about the same axis), so you just add the moment of inertia for the point mass, which of course is ma2, to the moment of inertia of the disc

(btw, your formula for T is correct, but I'm a bit lost as to how you got there :confused: … simplest is mgaθ = τ = Iα = Iθ'', so T ~ √(I/mga).

For the new T, use the new total mass, the new total moment of inertia (and the new distance to the overall centre of mass, though of course that's the same). :wink:

hey

ok so i got I = (9/8) *ma^2

and so T = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]*sqrt(a/g)*sqrt(9/8)

but sqrt(5/4) decreased by a factor of sqrt(9/10) is sqrt(50/36)?

hey indie452 ! :smile:

(what happened to that π and √ i gave you? :rolleyes:)
indie452 said:
ok so i got I = (9/8) *ma^2 …

How did you get 9/8 ma2 ? :confused:

sorry meant 9/4 i typed it in wrong

btw how do you put the symbols underneath you post like that automatically

hey indie452! :smile:

(to get those symbols, if you have a Mac you can type alt-v for √ and alt-p for π, otherwise just copy them from my post above, and paste them in :wink:)
indie452 said:
sorry meant 9/4 i typed it in wrong

ah! :biggrin:

ok … that's right … so now what do you get for the factor by which the period of oscillation will decrease? :smile:

I get a factor of √(10/9) but it wanted a factor of √(9/10)

indie452 said:
I get a factor of √(10/9) but it wanted a factor of √(9/10)

hmm :rolleyes: … let's see …

T ~ √(I/mga) …

(checking dimensions, that's √(ML2/M(L/T2)L) = T, so that's ok :biggrin:)

I is multiplied by 9/5, 1/m is multiplied by 1/2, g and a are the same, total 9/10 …

how did you get 10/9 ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hmm :rolleyes: … let's see …

T ~ √(I/mga) …

(checking dimensions, that's √(ML2/M(L/T2)L) = T, so that's ok :biggrin:)

I is multiplied by 9/5, 1/m is multiplied by 1/2, g and a are the same, total 9/10 …

how did you get 10/9 ? :smile:

I of disc = (5/4)Ma^2
I of point = Ma^2

so I total = (9/4)Ma^2
and mga becomes = 2mga

so T ~ √I/2mga ~ √a/g * √9/8

and i think the √10/9 is wrong now anyway...how did you get the 9/5? cause the question says its decreased by a factor of √9/10

indie452 said:
I of disc = (5/4)Ma^2
I of point = Ma^2

so I total = (9/4)Ma^2

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

yes, so new I = 9/5 times old I
and mga becomes = 2mga

and new m = 2 times old m
so T ~ √I/2mga ~ √a/g * √9/8

sorry, I can't follow that at all :confused:

try again. :smile:

i see what you're getting at...you're doing it interms of old I...i get it...i was trying to just get the new T and the compare the two which is why i didnt get where the 9/5 was coming from.

what i tried to do was

T = 2π√(9/4Ma^2)/(2Mag)
= 2π√(9a)/(8g)
= 2π√a/g*√9/8

and old T = 2π√a/g*√5/4

old T/new T = √10/9

but i see what you've done
oldT=2π√I/Mag
newT = 2π√(9/5)I/2Mag where I = old I
= 2π√9I/10Mag
= oldT*√9/10

I had another question btw that I was wondering if you could answer,

when calculating the combined I, the I(point) = Ma^2

why, (when the axis we are rotating around is not through the centre of mass of the point) do we not use the parallel axis theorem and say
I = I(through cm) + Mr^2

hang on i think i answered my own qu while typing...is it because the I(through cm) = zero because it is defined as the SUM(mass element*distance to element2) and the distance to the element is zero because it is an infinitesimally small point?

indie452 said:
I had another question btw that I was wondering if you could answer,

when calculating the combined I, the I(point) = Ma^2

why, (when the axis we are rotating around is not through the centre of mass of the point) do we not use the parallel axis theorem and say
I = I(through cm) + Mr^2

hang on i think i answered my own qu while typing...is it because the I(through cm) = zero because it is defined as the SUM(mass element*distance to element2) and the distance to the element is zero because it is an infinitesimally small point?

Yep, that's right. The moment of inertia of a point mass about its own center of mass is 0! What's there to rotate about that center, exactly? :)

Yup! :biggrin:

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is also known as rotational inertia.

How is moment of inertia calculated for a disc plus point mass at the centre?

The moment of inertia for a disc plus point mass at the centre can be calculated by adding the moment of inertia for a disc and the moment of inertia for a point mass at the centre. The formula for moment of inertia of a disc is (1/2) * mass * radius^2, while the formula for moment of inertia of a point mass is mass * distance^2.

Why is the moment of inertia greater for a disc plus point mass at the centre compared to just a disc?

The addition of a point mass at the centre increases the overall mass and distance from the axis of rotation, resulting in a greater moment of inertia. This is because the point mass adds more weight to the disc and is further away from the axis of rotation, making it more difficult to change the disc's rotational motion.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a disc plus point mass at the centre?

The moment of inertia of a disc plus point mass at the centre is affected by the mass of the disc and point mass, as well as the distance of the point mass from the axis of rotation. The greater the mass and distance, the greater the moment of inertia will be.

How is moment of inertia useful in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia is useful in understanding and predicting the rotational motion of objects. It is used in engineering and design to determine the stability and strength of structures and machinery. It is also used in physics to study the behavior of objects in rotational motion.