Statistical mechanics question -

This is because at the Fermi level, the electrons with parallel spins are filled up to k_0, while the electrons with opposite spins are not present. So, in summary, the first integral represents the filled state while the second integral represents the empty state in the 1D case of probability of distance for free electrons with parallel spin.
scigal89
We're covering probability of the distance for free electrons with parallel spin (long-range oscillations should go to zero) and using that to get a correlation energy. My teacher wants us to elaborate the following 1D case.

[tex]

\int e^{ik(x-X)}dk=\frac{e^{ik(x-X)}}{i(x-X)}\Rightarrow Re\left (\frac{e^{ik(x-X)}}{i(x-X)} \right ) =\frac{sin[k(x-X)]}{x-X}

[/tex]

Taking X = 0 and evaluating for case 1 from 0 to k_0 and for case 2 from 0 to 2k_0 (where k_0 is at the Fermi level) my teacher wrote:

[tex]

\psi_{1} \sim \frac{sin(k_{0}x)}{k_{0}x}

[/tex]

[tex]

\psi_{2} \sim \frac{sin(2k_{0}x)}{2k_{0}x}

[/tex]

I think to get the k_0 in the denominator for the first one and 2k_0 in the denominator for the second one he multiplied both sides by k_0/k_0 and 2k_0/2k_0, respectively.

Here is my question:

My teacher says the first one is supposed to be the filled state, the second one the empty state - why? A lot of this, conceptually, is very unclear to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question lies in the fact that the electrons with parallel spins behave differently than those with opposite spins. This is due to the Pauli Exclusion Principle, which states that no two electrons can occupy the same quantum state at the same time. As such, the first integral (from 0 to k_0) represents the states that are filled, while the second integral (from 0 to 2k_0) represents the empty states.

Question 1: What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles. It helps to understand how macroscopic properties of a system arise from the microscopic behavior of its constituent particles.

Question 2: What are the key concepts in statistical mechanics?

The key concepts in statistical mechanics include the study of statistical ensembles, which represent a large number of possible states of a system, as well as the use of thermodynamics to describe the behavior of systems in equilibrium. Other important concepts include entropy, probability distributions, and partition functions.

Question 3: How is statistical mechanics applied in different fields?

Statistical mechanics has applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It can be used to understand the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as complex systems like biological molecules and materials. It is also used in fields like astrophysics, where it helps to explain the behavior of large systems like galaxies and stars.

Question 4: What is the role of probability in statistical mechanics?

Probability plays a crucial role in statistical mechanics as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a large number of particles. The use of probability distributions helps to describe the distribution of particles in a system, and the concept of entropy relates to the likelihood of a certain state occurring. In statistical mechanics, probability is used to explain the behavior of systems in terms of averages and fluctuations.

Question 5: How does statistical mechanics relate to thermodynamics?

Statistical mechanics and thermodynamics are closely related, with statistical mechanics providing a microscopic understanding of the macroscopic laws of thermodynamics. The concepts of energy, temperature, and entropy in thermodynamics can be explained in terms of the behavior of individual particles in statistical mechanics. This relationship allows for a more detailed understanding of thermodynamic processes and systems.