Fixing the Gulf oil spill problem

• Thread starter WmCElliott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In Summary, BP's first idea of putting a big funnel over the top of the leak was a good start, but they did not anticipate the amount of methane hydrate slush that would clog the funnel. A possible solution is to build a heat exchanger inside the funnel and pump warm Gulf water to prevent the slush from forming. However, this may still be subject to ice crystals. It is surprising that a large oil company like BP does not have a team of engineers to solve this issue. Currently, a well kill is being attempted with around 20,000 people working on the project. Some suggest using a valve and wedge clamping to stop the flow, but this may not be effective. Another suggestion is to use detonations
""They are first and foremost a public relation tool to manipulate public opinion into believing the oil spill is disappearing, digested by microbes. The dispersants keep the oil underwater and together have created a deadlier mix than oil and water. Out of sight, out of mind, and the American public, with an increasingly short attention span buys into it. In reality an oil spill treated with chemical dispersants poses an even greater ecological threat than the oil spill left alone.""

""-repeated and prolonged inhalation. MSD of Corexit EC 9527A states:
Symptoms of Exposure
- Acute : Excessive exposure may cause central nervous system effects, nausea, vomiting, aesthetic or narcotic effects.
- Chronic : Repeated or excessive exposure to butoxyethanol may cause injury to red blood cells (hemolysis), kidney or the liver.""

""-a large cloud of dissolved hydrocarbons has been discovered undersea, by a research team headed by University of South Florida oceanographer, David Hollander. The contaminants are invisible and the reasons Mr. Hollander says, "may be due to the application of the dispersants that a portion of the petroleum has extracted itself away from the crude and is now incorporated into the waters with solvents and detergents."""

http://www.oil-price.net/en/articles/gulf-oil-spill-the-aftermath.php

""-chemical dispersants keep flowing into the Gulf of Mexico at virtually unchanged levels despite the EPA’s May 26 order to BP to “significantly” scale back.""

http://www.floridaoilspilllaw.com/bp-now-using-eight-types-of-chemical-dispersants-in-gulf

Engineering news on Phys.org
""For the first time Friday, the Coast Guard and BP acknowledged that a mysterious second pipe, wedged next to the drill pipe in what remains of the Deepwater Horizon’s riser-""

""actually comes more than a month after the Department of Energy noted the existence of two pipes using special imaging technology. At the time, BP dismissed the Energy findings as “impossible”""

WHAT??..BP are the EXPERTS!...COULD THEY HAVE MADE AN ERROR?!

""If the well casing has come up through the BOP, the relief wells are unlikely to work.""

http://www.floridaoilspilllaw.com/coast-guard-and-bp-now-admit-
mysterious-second-pipe-experts-say-indicates-casing-dislodged

It's hard to watch what BP is trying with their cap, It looks like they have 4 ports that could have had suction being pulled at each one, if they had connected all 4 and had their pumps running top speed it might have offset most of the pressure of the well discharge.

I called this in last Sunday, apparently it did not make it past the filter process. I wonder how many others might have had the same thought.
Did these engineers miss the class on pressure and surface area ?:frown:

I guess that I should consider the fact that I have to assume conditions and equipment on the surface, a total unknown to me.

Sorry about my Sunday morning rant, the cap is still at about 2500' and is reacting to the flow from the well. I just looked at what might be a guide pipe which would answer my concern of holding position.

I'm glad they made the live feeds that show their operations, I'm really impressed with what I see and just did not realize how much can be done with these machines. It has been interesting to see a couple of crashes into the sea floor and getting their wires crossed then having to untangle them, I'm glad no major damage was incurred, even got to see a little of the maintenance topside, overall I have enjoyed a week of observation thanks to so many live feeds and the fact I have three screens showing two and sometimes three ROV's at work at the same time.

I will continue to try and find, a better method of keeping this kind of mess from continuing in such a long drawn out fashion. I think the petroleum industry should continue and that accidents will happen, a faster response can and should be in place with some program that brainstorms what might happen and how to best meet a demand for proper equipment to be quickly deployed and put in place.

This comment is not meant toward anyone, just a general observation, for a thread in engineering of design and systems, I am a little disappointed at how few serious solutions were thrown out and now the thread has pretty well died (think I'm hearing an echo:smile:) the problem is still in crisis mode and I'm not seeing the concern. Regardless of who might be at fault, right or wrong, there is still so much ahead that will involve cleanup of the gulf region and industry correction to those risky corporate judgement calls that put everyone at risk. Don't let this slip into a "out of sight, out of mind" type of situation.

Back to the observation room:biggrin:

RonL

They just put the first section in!
Is that a Hubble mistake ?:eek:

OH! Hand me a larger hammer:uhh:

Last edited:
RonL said:
They just put the first section in!
Is that a Hubble mistake ?:eek:
Which of the dozen live feed cams actually shows the Blowout Preventer location oil leak? I see no oil flow on the ROVs.

mheslep said:
Which of the dozen live feed cams actually shows the Blowout Preventer location oil leak? I see no oil flow on the ROVs.

Looked like a measurement error at first:smile: they just bounced it together.

RonL said:
Looked like a measurement error at first:smile: they just bounced it together.
Ok, which camera are you watching!

mheslep said:
Ok, which camera are you watching!

The Boa deep C 1 &2

I finally figured out that sizing each screen to 50% I put 6 on one computer and 2 on another one of higher definition.

If anyone is watching that knows, what kind of seal compound are they making ? it is showing on the ROV Interprise 2.

Wow! They just put a top on that looks like another BOP.
Looking really top heavy, just hope they can close things off, with no leaks below.
Two or three days and maybe things will be somewhat in control.:rolleyes: