The effect of an external electric field on water

Are you referring to a magnetic field or an electric field?In summary, the conversation is about an experiment that the speaker plans to do for their extended essay. The experiment involves running a thin stream of water through an electric field and measuring the deflection based on varying voltage. The speaker is looking for information on similar work that has been done and explains that the IB diploma programme is at a high school level.
Arghablarg
Hi

If a charged glass rod is held near to a thin strem of water, the strem of water bends.

I have decided to do an experiment which builds on this premise for my extended essay.

My experiment is basically to run a thin stream of water from a burette through an electric field, and see how much the stream of water is deflected when i vary the voltage actross the electrodes.

Basically i hope to find out how the strength of the electric field is affecting the distance the stream of water is deflected, from where it normally would hit, per cm of electric field it passes through.

Does any of you know if similar work have been done, or something else relevant?
(an extended essay is a 4000 word research paper, in which i should be able to complete the lab part in about 5 days.)
the IB diploma programme is about at high scool level.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arghablarg said:
Hi

...Basically i hope to find out how the strength of the magnetic field is affecting the distance the stream of water is deflected, from where it normally would hit, per cm of electric field it passes through.

I'm confused

1. How does an external electric field affect the properties of water?

The presence of an external electric field can cause changes in the physical properties of water, such as its surface tension, boiling point, and viscosity. This is due to the polar nature of water molecules and their ability to align with the electric field.

2. Can an external electric field change the structure of water?

Yes, an external electric field can cause changes in the hydrogen bonding network of water molecules, resulting in alterations in the overall structure of the water. This can have an impact on the chemical and biological processes that involve water.

3. Is there a limit to how much an external electric field can affect water?

There is no definite limit, as the extent of the effect depends on the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the properties of the water itself. However, at extremely high electric field strengths, water molecules can break apart into ions, leading to significant changes in its properties.

4. What are the potential applications of utilizing an external electric field on water?

There are various potential applications, such as in water treatment and purification, where electric fields can be used to remove pollutants and contaminants. It can also be used in industrial processes, such as in the production of hydrogen gas from water.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using an external electric field on water?

Yes, caution must be taken when working with electric fields, as they can be potentially dangerous. It is important to follow safety protocols and use appropriate equipment when conducting experiments involving electric fields and water.