Can a Basis Be Proven with Divisibility?

Then k = 2 divides a*b but doesn't divides a or b.In summary, the conversation is about proving a basis by showing that if k divides a*b and also divides a2 +2*b2, then both a and b must also be divisible by k. The person is open to ideas and suggestions, but realizes that their initial thought about divisibility was incorrect. They also discuss scenarios where k is prime and explain why it is true or false in each case.
penguin007

Homework Statement

Hi everyone.
I'm studying a problem and I need to prove that I have a basis. I tryed a proof and to achieve it I need to show that :

if k divides a*b and also divides a2 +2*b2 Then k divides both a and b.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure what I'm asserting is true but if it was, then it would be great for me ( cause my proof would be finished).
I first thought that if k divided a sum then it divided every term of that sum but I understood it was wrong (the other way is correct).

I'm taking any idea!

Physics news on Phys.org

No, what if a = b and k = a2 in general?

Tedjn said:
No, what if a = b and k = a2 in general?

That's right indeed. But what if k is prime??

If k = 2, then no. Why? If k > 2 is prime, then yes. Why? Use the property that if p is prime and divides ab, then it divides a or b.

I can see if k>2, thank you, but why is it wrong if k=2 ?

Let a be even and b be odd.

What is a basis arithmetic problem?

A basis arithmetic problem is a mathematical problem that involves performing basic arithmetic operations (such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) on numbers expressed in different bases. This means that the numbers are written using a different number system, such as binary or hexadecimal, instead of the traditional decimal system.

Why do we use different bases in arithmetic?

Different bases are used in arithmetic for various reasons. For example, binary is commonly used in computer science because it is the most efficient way to represent and manipulate data in a computer. Hexadecimal is often used in programming because it is a more compact way to represent large numbers. Different bases can also provide different perspectives and insights into mathematical problems.

How do I convert numbers from one base to another?

To convert a number from one base to another, you can use the repeated division method. This involves dividing the number by the new base and recording the remainder. The remainder becomes the rightmost digit in the new number. The quotient is then divided by the new base again and the remainder becomes the next digit. This process repeats until the quotient is 0. The resulting digits in reverse order form the new number in the new base.

What are some common mistakes made in basis arithmetic problems?

Some common mistakes made in basis arithmetic problems include forgetting to carry or borrow when performing addition or subtraction, making errors in converting between bases, and forgetting to include leading zeros. It is important to double-check your work and be familiar with the rules for each operation in the specific base you are working in.

How can I practice and improve my skills in basis arithmetic?

One way to practice and improve your skills in basis arithmetic is to solve practice problems and exercises that involve converting between bases and performing arithmetic operations. You can also find online tools and calculators that can help you check your work. Additionally, studying the rules and patterns in different number systems can also help improve your understanding and proficiency in basis arithmetic.