Finding f'(x) of f(x) = (x^2-3)/(7ln[x]+3)

• Thread starter Twin468
  • Start date
In summary, the homework equation y=\left(ln(5x^3-5)\right)^3 can be solved using the formula ln(u)^3(du) where u is 5x^3-5.
Twin468

Homework Statement

f(x) = (x^2-3)/(7ln[x]+3) find f'(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt :
(7ln[x]+3)(x^2-3)' - (x^2-3)((7ln[x]+3)' / (7ln[x]+3)^2

(7ln[x]+3)(2x) - (x^2-3)((7/x) / (7ln[x]+3)^2

(14xln[x]+6x) - ((7x^2-21)/x) / (7ln[x]+3)^2

Is this right??

I am so lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah it's right. Why do you feel so lost? :tongue:

Thanks for the quick reply. Trying to study for finals but this did not feel like an adequate answer.
Glad to hear I am on the right track.

Do you have time for one more?

f(x) = ln(5x^3 - 5)^3 find f'(x)

My solution :
u = (5x^3 - 5) so du is 15x^2
ln(u)^3(du)

3ln(5x^3 - 5)^2(15x^2) ??

Is that right??

No worries. Good luck on the exams!

Oh that depends, is it [tex]ln\left((5x^3-5)^3\right)[/tex] or [tex]\left(ln(5x^3-5)\right)^3[/tex].

From what you've done, it looks like the latter.

it is y = ln(5x^3-5)^3
so then the answer I had is right?

Twin468 said:
f(x) = ln(5x^3 - 5)^3 find f'(x)

My solution :
u = (5x^3 - 5) so du is 15x^2
ln(u)^3(du)

3ln(5x^3 - 5)^2(15x^2) ??

Is that right??

That's not right. The derivative of ln(u)^3 is not 3ln(u)^2. Also, could you clarify whether you mean [tex]f(x) = \ln ( (5x^3-5)^3)[/tex] or [tex]f(x) = ( ln (5x^3-5) )^3[/tex].

It is the second one you have posted... f(x) = (ln(5x^3-5))^3
(how do you get the superscript?)

Do you know how to simplify [tex] ln (a^b)[/tex]? That will help you for this question.

Gib Z, the question is exponentiating the entire logarithm.

For [tex]y=\left(ln(5x^3-5)\right)^3[/tex]

Let [tex]u=5x^3-5[/tex]

Now we have [tex]y=\left(ln(u)\right)^3[/tex]

Let [tex]t=ln(u)[/tex]

So finally we have [tex]y=t^3[/tex]

Now the derivative is [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{dt}.\frac{dt}{du}.\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

Would it be bln(a) ?

Yes ln(ab)=b.ln(a) but that's not the problem at hand, according to:

Twin468 said:
It is the second one you have posted... f(x) = (ln(5x^3-5))^3
(how do you get the superscript?)

Ok, I will use your previous post to figure it out. Thanks Mentallic! I really appreciate it!

No problem :smile:

By the way, I never use this long tedious method of substitution to find the derivative. Finding the pattern in what happens will really save you time and energy.

Let's look at your most recent example:

[tex]y=\left(ln(5x^3-5)\right)^3[/tex]

First we picture the entire problem as (something)3, and so we use the usual rule and arrive at:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=3\left(ln(5x^3-5)\right)^2[/tex] --- not the answer

but now we need to multiply everything by the derivative of what's inside, and then what's inside that... etc. till we reach a finishing point.

we look at what's inside as being ln(something), so we have to multiply by the derivative of that, which, by our rule with logarithms becomes 1/(something).

Now we have:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=3\left(ln(5x^3-5)\right)^2.\frac{1}{5x^3-5}[/tex] --- not the answer

But again, we've ignored what's inside of that log, so we need to multiply by the derivative of that as well,

So finally we end up with:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=3\left(ln(5x^3-5)\right)^2.\frac{1}{5x^3-5}.(15x^2)[/tex] --- the answer

We can even go again and think of it as 5(something)3-5 but then the derivative of that something is 1 so it doesn't change anything. This is our true finishing point since there are no more variables to deal with.

1. What is the process for finding the derivative of a function?

The process for finding the derivative of a function involves using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. The derivative of a function represents the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point.

2. How do I find the derivative of a fraction?

To find the derivative of a fraction, you can use the quotient rule, which states that the derivative of a fraction is equal to the denominator times the derivative of the numerator minus the numerator times the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the square of the denominator.

3. How do I apply the quotient rule to find f'(x) of f(x) = (x^2-3)/(7ln[x]+3)?

To apply the quotient rule to find f'(x), we can first rewrite the function as f(x) = (x^2-3)(7ln[x]+3)^-1. Then, we can use the quotient rule to find the derivative: f'(x) = [(7ln[x]+3)(2x) - (x^2-3)(7/x)] / (7ln[x]+3)^2.

4. Can I simplify the derivative of f(x) = (x^2-3)/(7ln[x]+3)?

Yes, you can simplify the derivative by expanding the numerator and denominator, and then combining like terms. The simplified derivative would be f'(x) = (7x^2 - 21 - 7ln[x]) / (7ln[x]+3)^2.

5. How can I check if my answer for f'(x) is correct?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of the function using a graphing calculator or software, and comparing it to your calculated result. You can also check by plugging in various values for x and comparing the slopes of the tangent lines to the graph of the original function.