Passive Absorption of Quinine in Stomach vs Ileum

In summary: I think that quinine will be more easily absorbed in the ileum than in the stomach because the pKa and pH are close. However, I think that this is a too large of an assumption to make since the differences between 8.4 and 8 are considerable. So, I think that passive diffusion of quinine will occur more readily at the ileum than in the stomach.
casio1990

Homework Statement

The antimalarial drug quinine has pka = 8.4; is it likely to be absorbed by passive diffusion through lipid membranes in the stomach (ph = 0.9) or ileum (ph [tex]\approx[/tex] 8)? Why?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

If the pH of the environment is equal to the pKa of the substance, then the substance will be ionized by 50%. Beyond that, I am unsure what the effect will be if the pH environment differs from that of the pKa. Strictly looking at the question from a chemistry viewpoint, I think that passive diffusion of quinine will more likely be absorbed in the ileum since the pKa and pH are close. On the other hand, I think that's a too large of an assumption to make since the differences between 8.4 and 8 are considerable. Biologically speaking, it would make more sense that passive diffusion of quinine should occur more readily at the ileum since the intestines are able to facilitate absorption better than in the stomach. While some absorption does takes place in the stomach, I don't think it compares to the intestines.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi casio1990,

I think you should revert back to the Henderson-Hasselbach equation to solve this one. The equation can tell you the percentage of non-ionised to ionised forms of the drug in the medium. However, you need to know if it is an acidic drug or a basic drug to calculate the percentages.

I think that quinine is as base so if the pH of the medium is bigger than the pKa of the drug then there will be more of the non-ionised form than the ionised form. If the pH of the medium is smaller than the drug then the ionised form of the drug dominates and less of the drug is absorbed.

Moreover, remember that passive diffusion is dependent accordingly to the factors of Fick's Law and the relative hydrophobocity of the drug. Also, the drug can only traverse through the epithelial cells in the gut when it is non-ionised. Diffusion cannot take place if the drug is ionised because it is unable to penetrate the cell wall. In the case of quinine above, it is more likely for it to be absorbed in the ileum than the stomach because when it is in the stomach it will protonate and be ionised.

"Strictly looking at the question from a chemistry viewpoint, I think that passive diffusion of quinine will more likely be absorbed in the ileum since the pKa and pH are close."

I don't think so. There are some drugs where there only a small difference in pH and pKa but there are large changes in their form composition in the medium.

"Biologically speaking, it would make more sense that passive diffusion of quinine should occur more readily at the ileum since the intestines are able to facilitate absorption better than in the stomach. While some absorption does takes place in the stomach, I don't think it compares to the intestines."

True, but remember some drugs are highly acidic like acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin). More of it is absorbed in the stomach than in the intestine. It is important for you to consider the pH and pKa factors in absorption also.

~silentelysium

Thanks for your help!

Your hints gave me a better understanding of the question.

What is passive absorption?

Passive absorption is a process by which molecules move across a cell membrane from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration, without requiring energy.

What is quinine?

Quinine is a medication used to treat malaria and other conditions, derived from the bark of the cinchona tree.

What is the difference between absorption in the stomach and ileum?

The stomach is primarily responsible for mechanical and chemical digestion of food, while the ileum is the final part of the small intestine where absorption of nutrients takes place.

How does passive absorption of quinine differ in the stomach vs ileum?

In the stomach, quinine is mostly absorbed through the lining of the stomach, while in the ileum, it is absorbed through the small intestine's mucous membrane. The absorption is slower in the stomach due to its thicker lining, while the ileum has a larger surface area for absorption.

What factors can affect the passive absorption of quinine in the stomach and ileum?

The pH level of the stomach and ileum, the presence of food or other substances, and the health of the stomach and intestinal lining can all affect the passive absorption of quinine in these areas.