Derive Multivariable Taylor Series

In summary, Adrian is studying multivariable calculus and is interested in the Taylor series for two variable functions. He is not sure where to begin and is looking for help. He was wondering how the 2-variable Taylor series is derived.
adoado
Hello all,

I am currently studying multivariable calculus, and I am interested in the Taylor series for two variable function.

I am not sure where to begin; I cannot understand any of the proofs (which are apparently sparse) on the internet; they all just state it using a sigma sum; not very helpful to try to learn how it came to be :)

I was wondering how the 2-variable Taylor series is derived? :)

Cheers,
Adrian

Physics news on Phys.org
Basic idea:

Let f(x,y) be a sufficiently differentiable real function around the point (x0, y0). Consider the one-variable function

F(a) =f(x0 + a*nx, y0 + a*ny)

where a is a real number and (nx, ny) a real 2-vector. Try to calculate the one-dimensional Taylor expansion for the function F(a), and at the end put

nx = x - x0
ny = y -y0

You'll find the two-dimensional Taylor series for f(x,y).

For a more direct approach, you may try this:

[tex]f(x+\Delta x, y+\Delta y) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(\Delta x)^k}{k!} \frac{d^k}{dx^k} f(x,y+\Delta y)[/tex]

[tex]= \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(\Delta x)^k}{k!} \frac{d^k}{dx^k}
\sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{(\Delta y)^j}{j!} \frac{d^j}{dy^j}
f(x,y)[/tex]

[tex]= \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{(\Delta x)^k}{k!} \frac{(\Delta y)^j}{j!} \frac{d^k}{dx^k} \frac{d^j}{dy^j} f(x,y)[/tex]

[tex]= \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{(\Delta x)^k}{k!} \frac{(\Delta y)^j}{j!} f^{(k,j)}(x,y)[/tex]

Last edited:
After ross' eminent start, you should try to switch the order of summation, in an intelligent manner, in order to gain a nice formula.

Thanks everyone, I nearly understand. But why is it only the change in x and y raised to the power?

Cheers,
Adrian

What is a multivariable Taylor series?

A multivariable Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function using a series of terms that involve multiple variables. It is used to approximate the behavior of a function at a given point by taking into account the values of its partial derivatives at that point.

Why is it useful to derive a multivariable Taylor series?

Deriving a multivariable Taylor series allows for a more accurate representation of a function compared to using a single-variable Taylor series. It also allows for the approximation of a function at a specific point, rather than just along a single axis.

What is the process for deriving a multivariable Taylor series?

The process for deriving a multivariable Taylor series involves taking the partial derivatives of the function at a given point, and using those values to construct a series of terms that represent the function. The more terms included in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.

What are some applications of multivariable Taylor series?

Multivariable Taylor series are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to approximate the behavior of complex functions. They can also be used in optimization and numerical analysis to find the minimum or maximum values of a function.

Are there any limitations to using multivariable Taylor series?

One limitation of using multivariable Taylor series is that they are only accurate for a small region around the given point. They also become less accurate as the number of variables and terms in the series increases.