Question about domain of derivatives

In summary, when finding the derivative of a piecewise-defined function, it is important to consider the points where the pieces are joined and make sure that the one-sided derivatives agree. If they do not, then the original function is not differentiable at that point. Additionally, the derivative function may have a different domain than the original function.
Taturana
I was thinking how do I differentiate the domain of functions...

Suppose I have a function:

[tex]f(x) = \left\{\begin{matrix}
x^2 -1, \;\; |x| \leq 1\\
1 - x^2, \;\; |x| > 1

\end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

And I need to derive it:

[tex]f'(x) = \left\{\begin{matrix}
2x, \;\; |x| \leq 1\\
-2x, \;\; |x| > 1

1. What do I do with the conditions of |x| ? Is there a rule to handle this?
2. What will be the domain of f'(x)? Will the domain of f'(x) be the domain of f(x) minus the points where the function is non-differentiable?

Thank you,
Rafael Andreatta

Physics news on Phys.org
With regards to the derivative function for single variable functions, the maximal domain of the function that gives the derivative of f at each point will be the set of points in the domain of f where f is differentiable.
For multivariable and vector-valued functions, a more sophisticated definition of the derivative at a point and the derivative function are necessary.
The derivative at a point is generalized to a linear function over the tangent space to the point in the image of the function, and the derivative function is then a map from points in the domain of f to the space of linear functions over the tangent space to each point.
This simplifies to the single-variable case, as linear functions over the tangent line to the curve are constants. From this perspective, the domain would be isomorphic, but not strictly the same.

Last edited:
Taturana said:
I was thinking how do I differentiate the domain of functions...

Suppose I have a function:

[tex]f(x) = \left\{\begin{matrix}
x^2 -1, \;\; |x| \leq 1\\
1 - x^2, \;\; |x| > 1

And I need to derive it:

[tex]f'(x) = \left\{\begin{matrix}
2x, \;\; |x| \leq 1\\
-2x, \;\; |x| > 1

1. What do I do with the conditions of |x| ? Is there a rule to handle this?
2. What will be the domain of f'(x)? Will the domain of f'(x) be the domain of f(x) minus the points where the function is non-differentiable?

Thank you,
Rafael Andreatta

In a problem like this one (finding the derivative of a piecewise-defined function) I would state the work steps this way (this is my explanation only, not written to be textbook perfect)

* Use ordinary derivative rules everywhere except for the domain values where the different pieces are put together
* Examine the x-values where the pieces are joined. If the one-sided derivatives there agree, no problem. If the one-sided derivatives do not agree, your original function is not differentiable there.

Note: my original first example had an error, pointed out by l'Hopital below: read my later post for the correction.

However, if I have

[tex]
h(x) =
\begin{cases}
x^2 + 3x, \quad x \le 2 \\
5x^2 - 5x, \quad x > 2
\end{cases}
[/tex]

I need to examine the two one-sided derivatives at x = 2. The left-hand derivative there
is [itex] 7 [/itex], while the right-hand derivative is [itex] 15 [/itex]. Since the left- and right-hand derivatives don't agree there, h is not differentiable there . Thus, for my second example (notice that [tex] \le 2 [/tex] has been replaced by [tex] < 2[/tex])

[tex]
h'(x) =
\begin{cases}
2x + 3, \quad x < 2 \\
10x - 5, \quad x > 2
\end{cases}
[/tex]

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a question regarding g in statdad's post. It is clear g is not continuous at x = 0. Does it really make sense for g to have a derivative x = 0 ?

l'Hôpital said:
I have a question regarding g in statdad's post. It is clear g is not continuous at x = 0. Does it really make sense for g to have a derivative x = 0 ?

Well poop (that's not what I said to myself when I saw your email pop up, but you should get the drift)

Perfect point and I have no excuse for my screwup. Let me use this example.

[tex]
f(x) = \begin{cases}
x^2 + 6x - 7, \quad x \le 1 \\
-9 + 10x - x^2, \quad x > 1
\end{cases}
[/tex]

A quick check now, using the ideas in my earlier post, gives

[tex]
f'(x) = \begin{cases}
2x + 6, \quad x \le 1\\
10-2x, \quad x > 1
\end{cases}
[/tex]

The idea of my second example still works. Huge apologies for any confusion this may have caused, and a big "Thank-you" to l'Hopital for being a fantastic proof reader.

What is the domain of a derivative?

The domain of a derivative is the set of all possible input values for the original function. It represents the range of values for which the derivative is defined.

Can the domain of a derivative be different from the domain of the original function?

Yes, the domain of a derivative can be different from the domain of the original function. This can happen when the original function has points where it is not differentiable, but the derivative is still defined at those points.

How do you find the domain of a derivative?

The domain of a derivative can be found by considering the domain of the original function and any points where the original function is not differentiable. These points may need to be excluded from the domain of the derivative.

What happens if the domain of a derivative is different from the domain of the original function?

If the domain of a derivative is different from the domain of the original function, it means that the derivative is not defined for some values in the domain of the original function. This can happen when the original function has points of discontinuity or points where it is not differentiable.

Why is it important to consider the domain of a derivative?

The domain of a derivative is important because it tells us the range of values for which the derivative is defined. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of the original function and its rate of change at different points.