Why Does Sum of Infinity Equal Infinity?

In summary, the summation \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty{1} can not be simplified by moving the constant outside the summation. The sum is actually an infinite repetition of the value 1, which results in the sum being infinite. This can be seen by comparing it to the sum \sum_{n=1}^N1 which can be simplified to N, showing that the sum is not actually 0 but an infinite value. Due to this infinite repetition, the summation diverges and does not have a finite value.
SpaceDomain
I know that

[tex]
\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty{1} = \infty
[/tex]

But I don't understand why.

It seems to me that since the constant inside the summation is not dependent upon n it can be moved outside the summation. Then there is nothing to sum. It seems to me that

[tex]
\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty{1}
[/tex]

should equal 1.

What am I missing?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your logic is incorrect. The sum is 1+1+1+1+... no matter how you slice it.

You can take the 1 outside the sum, but you still have 1 inside, not 0. 1x0=0, not =1.

I thought the summation just vanished if there was no "argument" inside it.

That makes a lot more sense of why the summation is a discrete analogue of an integral.

Thank you for the help.

SpaceDomain said:
I know that

[tex]
\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty{1} = \infty
[/tex]

But I don't understand why.

It seems to me that since the constant inside the summation is not dependent upon n it can be moved outside the summation. Then there is nothing to sum.

You can change
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^N1[/tex]
to
[tex](N\cdot1)+\sum_{n=1}^N0=N[/tex]
by 'pulling out the 1'. In your infinite sum, proceeding formally, this would give you
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty1[/tex]
to
[tex](\infty\cdot1)+\sum_{n=1}^\infty0=\infty[/tex]
which shows (in a non-rigorous way) that the sum diverges.

1. Why does the sum of infinity equal infinity?

The sum of infinity equals infinity because infinity is defined as a number that is larger than any real number. Therefore, when we add an infinite number of real numbers together, the result will always be infinity.

2. Can infinity be added or subtracted?

No, infinity cannot be added or subtracted in the traditional sense. It is a concept that represents something that is unbounded and limitless. Therefore, it does not follow the rules of arithmetic that apply to finite numbers.

3. Does infinity have a value?

No, infinity does not have a specific numerical value. It is a concept that represents something that is unbounded and limitless.

4. How can we mathematically prove that the sum of infinity equals infinity?

The mathematical proof for this statement is based on the concept of limits in calculus. By taking the limit of a series of real numbers as the number of terms approaches infinity, we can show that the sum will always tend towards infinity.

5. Can the sum of infinity ever be a finite number?

No, the sum of infinity can never be a finite number. By definition, infinity is larger than any real number, so no matter how many terms we add together, the sum will always be infinite.