IMPORTANT - what is the geometric intepretation of the gradient vector?

In summary, the geometric interpretation of the gradient vector is that it is a vector that is perpendicular to the level surfaces of a function and shows how the function is changing and in what direction. It is a useful tool in understanding the behavior of a function and can be visualized on a contour plot. The gradient co-vector is a slightly different object, representing the level surfaces near a point.
richardlhp
IMPORTANT! ---- what is the geometric intepretation of the gradient vector?

Assume the situation in which I have a slope, a component of a function dependent on x and y, which is at an angle to the xy plane. The gradient vector would be perpendicular to the tangent plane at the point in which i want to find the gradient vector.

However, if i plot the function in the form of a topo map with contour lines, the gradient vector will be perpendicular to the level curve directly towards the higher values of the function parallel to the xy plane.

Hence, we see a contradiction. What i know may be wrong, but can sb clarify this with me and give me an intuitive explanation on the geographical interpretation of the gradient? I know all the math, but I need to UNDERSTAND!

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm sorry but I see no contradiction here! You have a three dimensional situation and say that the gradient vector is perpendicular to surfaces of constant value. Then, in a two dimensional situation, the gradient vector is perpendicular to curves of constant value.

Looks to me like those are saying the same thing- not a contradiction.

The gradient vector in the 2nd case is not the same gradient vector: its z-component is left out, and thus lies in the xy-plane. x and y-components are identical.

Thanks for your help. So can i say that the gradient vector shown on the contour plot is just a projection of the actual vector in euclidean space to the xy plane?

[URL]http://www2.seminolestate.edu/lvosbury/images/Sect127No10Pic2.gif[/URL]

Can someone help me visualise and tell me how the gradient vector is going to look like if I plot this function on a contour plot?

Last edited by a moderator:

richardlhp said:
[URL]http://www2.seminolestate.edu/lvosbury/images/Sect127No10Pic2.gif[/URL]

Can someone help me visualise and tell me how the gradient vector is going to look like if I plot this function on a contour plot?

That surface in the plot is not the plot of the function, but a plot of the level surface. The function is somewhere else, increasing in the direction of the red arrow. (It might be easier to visualise for a 2-variable than a 3-variable plot)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi, the gradient vector show how (and how much) the function is changing. It points in the direction of maximum change. Actually if you want to know how the function behaves in a specific direction (indicated by a unit vector pointing at that direction) you are interested in the component along that direction.

In a contour plot the gradient vector is always perpendicualar to the level surface (i.e. surface with costant value ). In fact the component along the costant-surface MUST be zero by definition.

The gradient vector is exactly as you say: it is a vector that is perpendicular to the level surfaces. The length of the gradient vector is proportional to the density of level surfaces. Drawing a gradient vector requires you both knowing the level surfaces and having a ruler to do some measurements.

There is also the gradient co-vector, which is slightly different. Rather than being an arrow that's perpendicular to the level surfaces near a point, it actually is the level surfaces near the point. This is actually a much more useful object in Calculus, but the gradient vector has its uses too.

1. What is the gradient vector?

The gradient vector is a mathematical concept that represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest ascent of a scalar-valued function at a specific point in space. It is a vector that points in the direction of the greatest rate of change of the function.

2. What is the geometric interpretation of the gradient vector?

The geometric interpretation of the gradient vector is that it represents the direction in which a function increases most rapidly at a specific point. It is perpendicular to the level curves or surfaces of the function at that point.

3. How is the gradient vector calculated?

The gradient vector is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and then combining them into a vector. The components of the vector are the coefficients of each partial derivative.

4. What is the importance of the gradient vector?

The gradient vector is important because it allows us to find the direction of the steepest ascent of a function, which is useful in optimization problems. It also helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point by providing information about its rate of change.

5. Can the gradient vector be negative?

Yes, the gradient vector can be negative. It depends on the direction of the steepest descent of the function. If the function is decreasing in a certain direction, the gradient vector will point in the opposite direction, which will have a negative magnitude.