How do logarithms convert numbers like 8.7 and -2.3 to whole numbers?

• Thread starter mohabitar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithmic
In summary, a logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation, used to solve equations where the variable is in the exponent. To solve a simple logarithmic equation, isolate the logarithm and constant, then use logarithm properties to simplify and solve. A natural logarithm has a base of e and is used in exponential growth and decay. The graph of a simple logarithmic function is a curve approaching the x-axis, and can be graphed using a table of values. Logarithms have various real-world applications in fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, finance, and computer science.
mohabitar
5fdsQ.png

I am unsure of how they were able to change 8.7 to 8 and make -2.3 to 2. Whats the explanation behind this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mohabitar said:
5fdsQ.png

I am unsure of how they were able to change 8.7 to 8 and make -2.3 to 2. Whats the explanation behind this?

It's not that 8.7 was changed to 8, but that [tex]\lfloor8.7\rfloor[/tex] was changed to 8,since 8.7 rounded down is 8.

And [tex]\lceil -2.3 \rceil[/tex] is rounded up to -2.

Ohhhh I didnt even notice those were the ceiling and floor functions, I thought they were just brackets! Thanks!

The explanation behind this is that logarithms are a mathematical operation that involves finding the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number. In this case, the base number is 10 and the given number is 8.7. The logarithm of 8.7 is approximately 0.939519, which can be rounded to 0.9. Similarly, the logarithm of -2.3 is approximately -0.361728, which can be rounded to -0.3. This is how 8.7 was changed to 8 and -2.3 was changed to 2. It is important to note that logarithms can only be taken of positive numbers, so the negative sign in front of -2.3 is dropped when calculating the logarithm. I hope this explanation helps clarify the process of converting these numbers using logarithms.

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation. It is a mathematical function that helps us solve equations where the variable appears in the exponent.

2. How do you solve a simple logarithmic equation?

To solve a simple logarithmic equation, you need to isolate the logarithm on one side of the equation and the constant on the other side. Then, use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation and solve for the variable.

3. What is the difference between a logarithm and a natural logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function with a base, while a natural logarithm is a special type of logarithm with a base of e (Euler's number, approximately equal to 2.718). Natural logarithms are often used in the study of exponential growth and decay.

4. How do you graph a simple logarithmic function?

The graph of a simple logarithmic function is a curve that approaches but never touches the x-axis. To graph it, you can make a table of values, plot the points, and connect them with a smooth curve. It is also helpful to know the asymptote of the function, which is the line that the graph approaches but does not touch.

5. What are some real-world applications of logarithms?

Logarithms are used in many scientific fields, including biology, chemistry, and physics. They can help us model population growth, chemical reactions, and radioactive decay. They are also used in finance and computer science to calculate interest rates and optimize algorithms.