Questions regarding the constant of light and photons

In summary: Light is emitted and absorbed by matter and as a result, changes the direction of the waves. This is why light travels in a straight line (or at least, that's what we're taught in school). However, if we look at light as a wave, it can also travel in a curved path. This is what's called a diffraction wave. diffraction is the bending of light as it passes through a obstacle like a crystal. In a nutshell, when light passes through a crystal, some of the light waves are scattered in all directions, while other waves are scattered in a specific direction. This is why a lightbulb has a shape - the light waves that are scattered in a certain direction create the "lightbulb" shape
snackster17
Hi I am curious about a few things i have read about light and would appreciate some help.

First of all to my knowledge the speed of light is 186,000 mps and of course its impossible to exceed or reach the barrier of light for any other object other than light. But I am curious as to why lights limit is only 186,000 mps and not faster, aren't photons weightless and would not have any resistance while traveling through space? Is there some sort of universal constant that cannot allow anything to achieve speeds higher? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Special relativity is the basic theory that says nothing material can reach or exceed the speed of light. When things are traveling close to the speed of light, applying additional force gets converted mostly into increased mass.

Firstly: as to why the speed of light assumes the value that it does, nobody really knows. The majority of current theories take it as a constant.

As mathman says, relativity explains nicely why the speed of light is, in effect, a universal "speed limit". All massless particles, such as photons, travel at precisely the speed of light. No less, no more. Massive particles (i.e. any particle that is not massless), will always travel less than the speed of light. As you accelerate them to higher and higher speeds, you find that more and more force is needed to produce a smaller increase in speed. This can be interpreted as the particles "gaining mass" in a reference frame at rest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations

acdbca818fd5285411ea9fd48f87a05d.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Vacuum_permeability
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=vacuum_permittivity

snackster17 said:
But I am curious as to why lights limit is only 186,000 mps and not faster, aren't photons weightless and would not have any resistance while traveling through space? Is there some sort of universal constant that cannot allow anything to achieve speeds higher?

My 2 cents:

Why not faster? You could pick any number. It just so happens that from that particular number, the universe evolved as it did.

That speed is a universal constant. That is what Albert assumed and everything (special relativity) worked out perfectly.

thanks everyone for the feedback. Is it possible that space is expanding at the speed of light no faster no slower?

snackster17 said:
thanks everyone for the feedback. Is it possible that space is expanding at the speed of light no faster no slower?

You would have to define what you mean by the "speed of expansion of space" to get a completely meaningful answer to this.

However, intuitively I think it we can say that it cannot be expanding at the speed of light. Just consider two points in space, A & B, separated by some distance. We define the speed of expansion of space as the relative speed of separation of these points. Now, if they were receding at the speed of light, then no light emitted from A can reach B, nor vice versa. As such these two points cannot communicate with one another (and cannot see each other...).

Since A & B could be any points in space, (although this step is dependant on how you define speed of separation exactly), then it follows that no such points could communicate with one another. This is not what is observed.

snackster17 said:

why would it be?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the constant of light?

The constant of light, also known as the speed of light, is a fundamental physical constant that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. Its value is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How was the constant of light determined?

The constant of light was originally determined by experiments conducted by Ole Rømer and then later refined by scientists such as James Clerk Maxwell and Albert Einstein. Currently, it is defined as exactly 299,792,458 meters per second by the International System of Units (SI).

3. What is the significance of the constant of light?

The constant of light is significant because it is a crucial component in many fundamental equations in physics, such as Einstein's theory of relativity and Maxwell's equations for electromagnetism. It also serves as the basis for the definition of the meter in the SI system.

4. What are photons and how are they related to the constant of light?

Photons are particles of light that have both wave-like and particle-like properties. They are the fundamental particles that make up all forms of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light. The constant of light is related to photons as it determines the speed at which they travel in a vacuum.

5. Can the constant of light ever change?

According to our current understanding of physics, the constant of light is a fundamental and unchanging constant. It is considered a universal constant, meaning it has the same value in all frames of reference and cannot be altered by any physical process. However, some theories, such as string theory, propose the existence of extra dimensions where the speed of light may vary.