Black Sky: Space Ship One documentary on Science Channel

In summary, a documentary called "Black Sky" was aired on the Science Channel last night, showcasing the operations at Scaled Composites and the history of Burt Rutan. It will be playing again on October 7 at 9pm EST and on October 10 at 4pm EST on the Discovery Channel. A commercial during live coverage of the second attempt of launching Space Ship One also announced that it will be playing on October 12 at 8pm EST, followed by a program called "Victory." The Science Channel website also has information on the documentary, and those interested can set their recording devices to catch it.
Cliff_J
Science Advisor
Science Channel showed last night a documentary called "Black Sky" that was a 2 hour behind the scenes look at the operations at Scaled Composities and a short history of Burt Rutan. They have footage of the construction of the carrier plane White Knight and the test flights of Space Ship One.

According to a commercial, it is playing this Thursday October 7 at 9pm EST.

According to a commercial this morning during live coverage of the 2nd attempt in 2 weeks the "Black Sky" documentary is playing Tuesday October 12 at 8pm EST followed by program called "Victory" at 10pm EST which is a condensed version of today's live coverage.

Those interested may want to set their recording devices of choice. :wink:

Cliff

P.S. If you visit the science channel website, its pretty much top news right now and according to the website "Black Sky" is also on October 10 at 4pm EST on the Discovery Channel.

http://science.discovery.com/convergence/raceforspace/raceforspace.html [Broken]

http://dsc.discovery.com/schedule/episode.jsp?episode=0&cpi=24963&gid=0&channel=DSC [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I'm definitely going to set my recording device for this documentary. I've always been fascinated by Burt Rutan and his innovative designs, and I'm excited to see behind the scenes footage of the construction and test flights of Space Ship One. I'll also make sure to check out the website for more information and catch the condensed version on October 12. Thanks for sharing!

1. What is the premise of "Black Sky: Space Ship One documentary on Science Channel"?

"Black Sky: Space Ship One documentary on Science Channel" follows the story of Space Ship One, the first privately-funded spacecraft to reach the edge of space. The documentary showcases the engineering and scientific advancements that made this feat possible and the potential impact on future space travel.

2. Who is featured in the documentary?

The documentary features interviews with the team behind Space Ship One, including aerospace designer Burt Rutan and Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen. It also includes commentary from experts in the field of space exploration and commercial spaceflight.

3. What makes "Black Sky: Space Ship One documentary on Science Channel" unique?

This documentary offers a behind-the-scenes look at the development and launch of Space Ship One, including never-before-seen footage and insights from the team. It also explores the potential impact of private space travel on the future of space exploration.

4. How does the documentary address the science behind Space Ship One?

"Black Sky: Space Ship One documentary on Science Channel" delves into the science and engineering behind the creation of Space Ship One, including the challenges and innovations involved in designing and building a spacecraft capable of reaching the edge of space.

5. What can viewers learn from watching "Black Sky: Space Ship One documentary on Science Channel"?

Viewers can gain a deeper understanding of the technological advancements and scientific breakthroughs that made Space Ship One possible. They can also explore the potential for commercial spaceflight and its impact on the future of space exploration and travel.

Back