How to Compare Array Elements with a Constant in Assembly Language

In summary, the conversation discusses a code that compares an array with a constant and prints the elements that are less than the threshold value. The code also displays a "none" message if there are no elements less than the threshold. The experts suggest that the print routine should only print one element and the main program should keep track of the number of elements that meet the criteria. The conversation ends with the request for help in translating this concept into programming language.
cupcake
Hi, I want to ask.. suppose I have an array and a constant called threshold in my data segments

array db 1,2,3,4,5,6
threshold equ 5

I want to compare my array elements with the constant, and only display/print the number which is less that the threshold, if there are none, display the none message

this is what I have done so far...

cmpr_thr:
mov dl,10d ;display line
mov ah,2h
int 21h
mov al,array[bx]
cmp al,threshold
jl print
inc bx ;increment index register
dec cl ;decrement counter
jnz cmpr_thr

print:
mov ah,2
mov dl,array[bx] ;display data on screen
add dl, 30h
int 21h
inc bx ;next piece
jnz print

can someone enlighten me?
it's not working as I expect

Physics news on Phys.org
cupcake said:
Hi, I want to ask.. suppose I have an array and a constant called threshold in my data segments

array db 1,2,3,4,5,6
threshold equ 5

I want to compare my array elements with the constant, and only display/print the number which is less that the threshold, if there are none, display the none message

this is what I have done so far...

cmpr_thr:
mov dl,10d ;display line
mov ah,2h
int 21h
mov al,array[bx]
cmp al,threshold
jl print
inc bx ;increment index register
jnz cmpr_thr

print:
mov ah,2
add dl, 30h
int 21h
inc bx ;next piece
jnz print

can someone enlighten me?
it's not working as I expect

In the code you show you are using bx for the index into the array, but I don't see that you have initialized it to zero anywhere. When you increment bx, if you start with a garbage value, incrementing it gives you garbage + 1, which is still garbage.

Also, I don't see that you have initialized cx anywhere, so decrementing cl also gives you a garbage value.

1) how to initialized the array = 0??

I have initialized bx and cx above, sorry I didn't copy my whole code..

start:
mov ax,data ;initialise data segment
mov ds,ax

xor ch,ch ;initialize counter
mov cl,count
xor bx,bx ;initialize index register

It seems my cmp isn't working cause it is still printing the whole array

cupcake said:
1) how to initialized the array = 0??
You don't need to and you don't want to initialize the array to zero.
cupcake said:
I have initialized bx and cx above, sorry I didn't copy my whole code..
Code:
start:
	mov ds,ax

xor	ch,ch		;initialize counter
	mov	cl,count	
	xor	bx,bx		;initialize index register
You don't have to zero out CX if you store count in it, but I don't see where count is initialized.

Code:
      count dw 5 ; or whatever

mov cx, count  ; store count in CX

BTW, put [ code] and [ /code] tags (without the leading spaces) around your code to preserve your indentation.

If you're still having problems, be sure to include all of your code.

cupcake said:
It seems my cmp isn't working cause it is still printing the whole array

It looks to me like your print routine never jumps back to cmp_threshold. It just stays in print until count = 0.

Code:
print:
mov ah,2
add dl, 30h
int 21h
inc bx ;next piece
jnz print

That's a good point. It seems to me that the print routine is trying to do too much. The only thing it should do is print one element in the array. When control is transferred to print: the bx register should have the index of the array element to be printed. It shouldn't be incrementing or decrementing any registers, and it should jump back to itself.

The main program should keep track of how many array elements are less than the threshold value. If there are none after all comparisons have been made, then the "none" message should be displayed.

thanks you all for your inputs...
Here I post all my code to avoid the misunderstanding..
first half of the code, basically just printing the no of elements in array and display them..

Code:
stk	segment	stack
	db	128 DUP(?)
stk	ends
;

data segment
	prompt1 db 'Your array: $'
	array db 1,2,3,4,5,6 ;declare a byte array
	len equ $-array ;"$" means current address. 
	thr_prompt db 'Your threshold number is: $'
	msg db 'The number of elements of your array is:$'
	threshold equ 5
data ends

code segment
assume cs:code, ds:data, ss:stk
count equ 6

start:
	mov ds,ax

mov	cl,count	

display_msg:
	lea dx, prompt1
	mov ah,09
	int 21h
	jmp key

key:	
	mov	al,array[bx]	;store the number at the array
	mov	ah,2		;display the number at the screen
	mov	dl,al
	add dl,30h
	int	21h
	inc	bl		;increment index register
	dec	cl		;decrement counter
	jnz	key

done:
	mov	cl,count
	mov	ah,2		;sent space
	mov	dl,20h
	int 21h
	jmp elements

elements:
	mov dl,10d ;display line
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h
	mov ah,09
	mov dx, offset msg
	int 21h
	mov ah,2 ;sent space
	mov dl,01h
	mov dl,20h
	int 21h
	mov dl,len
	add dl,30h ;convert the ascii value to integer number
	mov ah,2
	int 21h

thr_msg:
	mov dl,10d ;display line
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h
	mov ah,09
	mov dx, offset thr_prompt
	int 21h
	mov ah,2 ;sent space
	mov dl,01h
	mov dl,20h
	int 21h
	mov dl,offset threshold
	add dl,30h
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h

[COLOR="Red"]cmpr_thr:
	mov dl,10d ;display line
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h
	mov al,array[bx]
	;mov bx,threshold
	cmp al,threshold
	jl print
	inc bx
	dec cl
	jnz cmpr_thr

print:
	mov	ah,2
	mov al,array[bx]	;display data on screen
	add al, 30h
	int 21h
	inc	bx		;next piece
	dec cl
	jnz	print[/COLOR]

exit1:	
	mov ah,4ch
	int 21h

code ends

end start

the red portions are where the problem is
oke...

1) It looks to me like your print routine never jumps back to cmp_threshold. It just stays in print until count = 0.
So, after decrementing the cl, I should jmp to cmp_threshold instead of jnz print?

That's a good point. It seems to me that the print routine is trying to do too much. The only thing it should do is print one element in the array. When control is transferred to print: the bx register should have the index of the array element to be printed. It shouldn't be incrementing or decrementing any registers, and it should jump back to itself.

Ok, so if bx should not incrementing or decrementing, so how do I traverse the array? firstly, I thought by incrementing bx, it will increment the index of the array -__-

The main program should keep track of how many array elements are less than the threshold value. If there are none after all comparisons have been made, then the "none" message should be displayed.

yes, theoretically I know this, but I don't know how to translate it into programing language :(

Regarding the sections you have in red, here are some thoughts.
1) thr_msg is supposed to print Your threshold number is: 5
After this string is printed to the screen, execution flows to the cmpr_thr block. The cmp instruction compares each element of the array with 5. If al < threshold, the code jumps to the print section, but doesn't execute the statements following jl print; namely, inc bx, dec cl, and jnz cmpr_thr.

One fix for this is to have the print section print only a single number, instead of having it printing all the elements of the array. I think this would work.
Code:
     cmp al, threshold
     jsr print
print:
     mov ah, 2
     mov al, array[bx]
     add al, 30h
     int 21h
     ret

Alternatively, if you don't know about JSR (jump to subroutine) and RET (return), you could jump to your print routine the way you did it (with jl print), and then after the int 21h instruction in your print routine, you could jump back (using jmp) to a label right after the jl print instruction.

2) In cmpr_thr, when CL is 0, execution flows into the first instruction after the print label. You don't want this to happen, since you have presumably already printed all the elements in your array. You can prevent this from happening by putting an unconditional jump (i.e., jmp exit) right after the jnz cmpr_thr instruction at the end of cmpr_thr.

3) To keep track of how many elements in the array are less than the threshold value, you could increment a new variable in your print routine. Be sure to initialize it to zero up in your data declaration section, and increment it in the print routine. Each time the print routine is executed, this variable would be incremented. When you're all done, print its value.

Some other comments.
You are using comments, which is a good thing. Keep it up. It's even more important to liberally comment your assembly code than it is for C or C++ or other higher-level code. Some of your comments aren't as helpful as they could be, though. Here are some examples:
; sent space -- you are actually printing a space character, not sending it.

mov dl,10d ;display line -- Here you're about to print ASCII 10, which is a line feed, to start a new line. It would be more helpful to say which string you're printing.

Some of your labels are pretty much indecipherable, such as thr_msg and cmpr_thr. It doesn't take that much more typing to make a label whose purpose is clear from its name.

You have the same typo in two places
Code:
	mov dl,01h
	mov dl,20h
After you move 1 to DL, you move 20h to DL, so the first mov instruction is wasted effort. Get rid of mov dl, 01h. This is in elements and thr_msg.

You have a jmp statement to the next statement, like this:
Code:
	jmp elements

elements:
It's never a good idea to jump to the very next statement, since control will flow there naturally. Take out that jmp statement.

Regarding the sections you have in red, here are some thoughts.
1) thr_msg is supposed to print Your threshold number is: 5
After this string is printed to the screen, execution flows to the cmpr_thr block. The cmp instruction compares each element of the array with 5. If al < threshold, the code jumps to the print section, but doesn't execute the statements following jl print; namely, inc bx, dec cl, and jnz cmpr_thr.

One fix for this is to have the print section print only a single number, instead of having it printing all the elements of the array. I think this would work.
Code:
     cmp al, threshold
     jsr print
print:
     mov ah, 2
     mov al, array[bx]
     add al, 30h
     int 21h
     ret

Alternatively, if you don't know about JSR (jump to subroutine) and RET (return), you could jump to your print routine the way you did it (with jl print), and then after the int 21h instruction in your print routine, you could jump back (using jmp) to a label right after the jl print instruction.

I don't know about JSR, and I think there's no such mnemonics like that? I have checked my textbook but there is no JSR.. so I go with JL.. here my revision, after I read your thought..
please tell me if I miss something

Code:
cmpr_thr:
	mov dl,10d ;display line
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h

mov al,array[bx]
	cmp al,threshold
	jl print

next:	
	inc bx
	dec cl
	jnz cmpr_thr
	jmp exit1

print:	
	add al,30h
	int	21h
	jmp next
	inc bx
	dec cl
	jnz print

But, it's still not working... it never print the array after the comparison

2) In cmpr_thr, when CL is 0, execution flows into the first instruction after the print label. You don't want this to happen, since you have presumably already printed all the elements in your array. You can prevent this from happening by putting an unconditional jump (i.e., jmp exit) right after the jnz cmpr_thr instruction at the end of cmpr_thr.

I have edited my code above, did you meant something like that? I have put the conditional jump after jnz_cmpr

3) To keep track of how many elements in the array are less than the threshold value, you could increment a new variable in your print routine. Be sure to initialize it to zero up in your data declaration section, and increment it in the print routine. Each time the print routine is executed, this variable would be incremented. When you're all done, print its value.

Ok, this one I'm not so sure how to do, especially how to incrementing it in the print routine and how to display it then..

and btw, what will the value be after I printed it? so, will it be print the number which is less than my threshold number?
Some other comments.
You are using comments, which is a good thing. Keep it up. It's even more important to liberally comment your assembly code than it is for C or C++ or other higher-level code. Some of your comments aren't as helpful as they could be, though. Here are some examples:
; sent space -- you are actually printing a space character, not sending it.

mov dl,10d ;display line -- Here you're about to print ASCII 10, which is a line feed, to start a new line. It would be more helpful to say which string you're printing.

Some of your labels are pretty much indecipherable, such as thr_msg and cmpr_thr. It doesn't take that much more typing to make a label whose purpose is clear from its name.

You have the same typo in two places
Code:
	mov dl,01h
	mov dl,20h
After you move 1 to DL, you move 20h to DL, so the first mov instruction is wasted effort. Get rid of mov dl, 01h. This is in elements and thr_msg.

You have a jmp statement to the next statement, like this:
Code:
	jmp elements

elements:
It's never a good idea to jump to the very next statement, since control will flow there naturally. Take out that jmp statement.

Noted, Thank you very much for your comments, it's very helpful since I just start learning assembly language this month...I will study more..

Regarding JSR - that's a Motorola 68000 instruction. The one I meant was CALL. Sorry about that. Here's what I had in mind.

Code:
     cmp al, threshold
     call print
print:
     mov ah, 2
     mov al, array[bx]
     add al, 30h
     int 21h
     ret

In your code,
Code:
cmpr_thr:
	mov dl,10d ;display line
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h

mov al,array[bx]
	cmp al,threshold
	jl print

next:	
	inc bx
	dec cl
	jnz cmpr_thr
	jmp exit1

print:	
	add al,30h
	int	21h
	jmp next
	inc bx   <--- take out
	dec cl   <--- take out
	jnz print <--- take out
the instructions after jmp next never execute, so why are they there? Also, the JMP instruction is an unconditional jump, unlike conditional jumps such as jl, jle, etc. Conditional jumps transfer control based on some condition.

As far as what exactly should be printed, I think we have strayed from what you said in your original post.
cupcake said:

According to what you said, you should NOT print every element in the array, but only those that are less than the threshold. And there is no need to print how many elements were less than the threshold, so disregard what I said about this in my earlier post.

To print the elements in the array that are less than the threshold, loop through the array as you are doing, and when you come to an array element that is less than the threshold, jump to your print routine (jl print will do the job). The print routine should not increment or decrement anything. All it should do is print the array element at the current index. After the int 21h that prints the number, jump (unconditionally) to the statement right after jl print.

The output should be

When you have gone completely through the array jump to some statement at the end of your program.

Mark44 said:
To print the elements in the array that are less than the threshold, loop through the array as you are doing, and when you come to an array element that is less than the threshold, jump to your print routine (jl print will do the job). The print routine should not increment or decrement anything. All it should do is print the array element at the current index. After the int 21h that prints the number, jump (unconditionally) to the statement right after jl print.

The output should be

When you have gone completely through the array jump to some statement at the end of your program.

hmm..ok now, how to loop through the array?
I should use loop instruction, shouldn't I?
I'm not really sure how to do the looping.. here.. currently in my code, I have

Code:
mov al,array[bx]
cmp al,threshold
jl print

so, I should do loop array after cmp, al threshold?

I think the most useful way to write assembly code is to first write the code in a procedural language like Pascal, so that you get the structure right. Then translate it to assembly.

It'll be easier translating individual language elements like if/then/else blocks than coding them in assembly from scratch.

ok, wait..

I have successfully print the numbers which are less than threshold number..
but, my problem...is now about printing the message if there are none of numbers less than threshold..
where should I put the code, cause this one works only when there are no number less than threshold, if there is.. it will print number less than threshold but bad things is it also print the none message..

Code:
stk	segment	stack
	db	128 DUP(?)
stk	ends
;

data segment
	array db 2,3,4,5,6,7 ;declare a byte array
	msg db 'The number of elements of your array is:$'
	threshold equ 1
	msg_thr db 'Numbers less than threshold: $'
	none_msg db 'There are no numbers less than threshold$'

data ends

code segment
count equ 6
start:
	mov ds,ax
	mov	cl,count	
	xor dx,dx

display_msg:
	lea dx, prompt1
	mov ah,09
	int 21h

key:	
	mov	dl,al
	add dl,30h
	int	21h
	jnz	key

done1:
	mov	cl,count
	mov	ah,2		;printing a space
	mov	dl,20h
	int 21h

elements:
	mov dl,10d ;display line
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h
	mov ah,09
	mov dx, offset msg
	int 21h
	mov ah,2 ;sent space
	mov dl,01h
	mov dl,20h
	int 21h
	mov dl,len
	mov ah,2
	int 21h

thr_msg:
	mov dl,10d ;display line
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h
	mov ah,09
	int 21h
	mov ah,2 ;sent space
	mov dl,20h
	int 21h
	mov dl,offset threshold
	add dl,30h
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h

mov dl,10d ;display line
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h

cmpr_thr:
	mov al,array[bx]
	cmp al,threshold
	jl print

next:	
	inc bl
	dec cl
	jnz cmpr_thr
	jmp none_thr

print:
	mov ah,2
	mov	al,array[bx]	;store the number at the array;
	mov dl, al
	add dl,30h
	int	21h
	jmp next

none_thr:
	mov al,array[bx]
	cmp al,threshold
	jge print_none
	jmp exit1

print_none:
	mov ah,09
	mov dx, offset none_msg
	int 21h

exit1:	
	mov ah,4ch
	int 21hcode ends

end start

Last edited:
sorry double post

my current output:
for
Code:
array db 2,3,4,5,6,7
threshold number equ 5

it will print the output

Code:
2,3,4 there no number less than threshold

You need another variable that keeps track of how many times you have printed a number that was less than threshold. Recall that the only time you enter the print section is when you have found a number less than threshold.

I would use a variable named threshold_count, adding a line to initialize it in the same place where you initialize count.

In your print routine, increment count like this:
Code:
print:
      inc threshold_count
      mov ah,2

After you have gone through the entire array and made your comparisons, check the value of threshold_count. If it is still zero, display your message that none of the array elements were less than threshold. If it is greater than zero, then you don't need to display that message, and you should be done.

You have a block of code whose purpose I don't understand.
Code:
none_thr:
	mov al,array[bx]
	cmp al,threshold
	jge print_none
	jmp exit1
I don't see the need for doing a comparison as you are in the first line above. All the comparisons should have been done in cmpr_thr.

Ok, Thanks a lot~

I got it..

Last edited:
There are still what look to be extra lines of code.

Code:
done1:
	mov	cl,count
	mov	dl,20h
	int 21h

Why do you have the label done1? You don't jump to it from anywhere. Also, why are you initializing ch and moving count into cl? You don't seem to be doing anything with it. All that's happening in this block of code is that you are printing a space. If that's all you're doing, you don't need the extra code to intialize CX, and you don't need a label.

You also have a typo that I mentioned before, in the elements block.
Code:
	mov dl,01h
	mov dl,20h

In the code above, you move 1 into DL, and then you move 20h into DL. You should remove the first of these two lines. It doesn't cause any harm to do this, but having it there is likely to cause confusion (including to you).

Mark44 said:
There are still what look to be extra lines of code.

Code:
done1:
	mov	cl,count
	mov	dl,20h
	int 21h

Why do you have the label done1? You don't jump to it from anywhere. Also, why are you initializing ch and moving count into cl? You don't seem to be doing anything with it. All that's happening in this block of code is that you are printing a space. If that's all you're doing, you don't need the extra code to intialize CX, and you don't need a label.

because, if I don't initialize it again, the output would be very strange, it prints out some strange characters (probably asciii) I have tried to remove it before, but the results became worse.. maybe I'll leave it as it is.. and come back again after I do all the questions.

You also have a typo that I mentioned before, in the elements block.
Code:
	mov dl,01h
	mov dl,20h

In the code above, you move 1 into DL, and then you move 20h into DL. You should remove the first of these two lines. It doesn't cause any harm to do this, but having it there is likely to cause confusion (including to you).
Ok thanks.. I have removed it, I forgot to take it out before.. thanksanyway, I have another question, so, the question says.. after I've done with threshold's problem, now I have to seek for even number in the array, count them and display the average result.. this is what I have done so far... my problem is a slightly the same with before, I don't know how to print the result.. and later compute the average..

Code:
stk	segment	stack
	db	128 DUP(?)
stk	ends
;

data segment
	array db 2,3,4,5,6,7 ;declare a byte array
	threshold equ 5
	threshold_count db 0
	msg_thr db 'Numbers less than threshold: $'
	none_msg db 'There are no numbers less than threshold$'

data ends

code segment
count equ 6
start:
	mov ds,ax
	mov	cl,count	
	xor dx,dx

display_msg:
	lea dx, prompt1
	mov ah,09
	int 21h

key:	
	mov	dl,al
	add dl,30h
	int	21h
	jnz	key

done1:
	mov	cl,count
	mov	dl,20h
	int 21h

elements:
	mov dl,10d ;display line
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h
	mov ah,09
	mov dx, offset msg
	int 21h
	mov ah,2 ;sent space
	mov dl,01h
	mov dl,20h
	int 21h
	mov dl,len
	mov ah,2
	int 21h

thr_msg:
	mov dl,10d ;display line
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h
	mov ah,09
	int 21h
	mov ah,2 ;sent space
	mov dl,20h
	int 21h
	mov dl,offset threshold
	add dl,30h
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h

mov dl,10d ;display line
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h

cmpr_thr:
	mov al,array[bx]
	cmp al,threshold
	jl print

next:	
	inc bl
	dec cl
	jnz cmpr_thr
	mov al,threshold_count
	cmp al,0
	jz print_none
	jmp exit1

print:
	inc threshold_count
	mov ah,2
	mov dl, al
	add dl,30h
	int	21h
	jmp next

print_none:
	mov ah,09
	mov dx, offset none_msg
	int 21h

[COLOR="Red"]check_even:
	mov si,offset array

again:
	mov ax,[si]
	ror ax,01
	jnc even_no ; CF=0 even number
	inc bx
	jmp next1

even_no:
	inc dx
	je print_even

next1:
	add si,02
	dec cl
	jnz again

print_even:
	mov dl,10d ;display line
	mov ah,2h
	int 21h
	mov ah,2
	mov dl, al
	add dl,30h
	int	21h
	[/COLOR]
exit1:	
	mov ah,4ch
	int 21hcode ends

end start

so, for example my array = 2,3,4,5,8
output will be 2+4+8 = 14 <- display 14

I need some advise again..in such a way should I print the result? thanks beforehand

Last edited:
If your array contains 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, the output should be something like this:
3 numbers found
average is 4

I see that you have all of your code from the threshold problem. I would advise you get rid of nearly all of that old code, and keep only what you need.

Based on your description of what is required for this problem, you need to loop through the array only once. (I'm assuming that you don't need to print each element in the array.)

You need two variables: one to count the even numbers, and one to accumulate the total of the even numbers.

Here's the algorithm.
Code:
even_count = 0
total = 0

For each element in the array
  If array[bx] is even
     increment even_count
     total = total + array[bx]
  endif

print even_count
calculate average
print average

To calculate the average use the DIV instruction. Put the number to be divided (the dividend) into the AX register, and use the number to divide by as the operand.

I think this should work.

Code:
   mov ax, total
   div even_count

After the DIV instruction executes, the quotient will be in AL and the remainder will be in AH. Here I'm assuming that total is a byte value.

If the operand is a word value, DIV divides the contents of DX:AX by what's in the operand, and stores the result in AX and the remainder in DX.

By the way, DIV performs integer division, so 14/3 == 4. If you need floating point division, you'll have to use the floating point FDIV instruction, plus you need to check that there is actually a floating point unit (FPU) on the machine.

My guess is that integer division will be fine.

specially thanks to cupcake and to all other members.

What is assembly language?

Assembly language is a low-level programming language that is used to directly control a computer's hardware. It is considered a "human-readable" version of machine code, which is the language that a computer's processor can understand.

Why is assembly language still used?

Although it is not as commonly used as high-level languages, assembly language is still used in certain applications where speed and efficiency are critical, such as in embedded systems and operating system kernels. It also allows for more precise control over hardware resources.

Is assembly language difficult to learn?

Yes, assembly language can be difficult to learn for those who are unfamiliar with low-level programming concepts and syntax. It requires a strong understanding of computer architecture and a lot of attention to detail when writing code. However, with practice and dedication, it can be mastered.

What are some common uses for assembly language?

Assembly language is used in a variety of applications, including device drivers, operating systems, firmware, and embedded systems. It is also commonly used for reverse engineering and low-level programming tasks.

Are there any disadvantages to using assembly language?

One major disadvantage of assembly language is that it is not portable, meaning code written for one computer architecture may not work on another. It is also time-consuming to write and debug, and can be more prone to errors than higher-level languages.