Boltzmann Distribution: Mean Energy & Mean Square Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the mean energy and mean square energy of a free particle using the Boltzmann distribution. The calculated mean energy is 3/2 kT and the mean square energy is 21/8 k^2 T^2. The conversation also addresses the computation of the mean square energy and the use of cross terms in the calculation.
Berko

Homework Statement

Compute the mean energy and mean square energy of a free particle using the Boltzmann distribution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the mean energy to be 3/2 kT by computing the mean square velocity directly from the Boltmann distribution function and then multiplying it by 1/2 m and then again multiplying by 3 to get the answer in three dimensions.

However, I cannot figure out how to compute the mean square energy as E^2 is proportional v^4 and computing it in one dimension does not allow me to simply multiply by 3 to get the answer in 3 dimensions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just tried <E^2> = <(Ex+Ey+Ez)^2> = 9<Ex^2> since <Ex>=<Ey>=<Ez> and each of the three components are independent of the others.

My result was <E^2> = 27/8 k^2 T^2.

Does this make sense?

Last edited:
No. Why 9 and not 3 ?

bigubau said:
No. Why 9 and not 3 ?

Cross terms. (x+y+z)^2 = x^2+y^2+z^2 +2xz +2xy +2yz

Hmm, you're right. Your answer should be fine then.

Well, I just recalculated.

<E^2> = <(x+y+z)^2> = <x^2+y^2+z^2+2xy+2xz+2yz> = 3<x^2> + 6<x><x> = 3<x^2> + 6<x>^2

where I used x for Ex and so on.

So, now my answer for <E^2> is 21/8 k^2 T^2

1. What is the Boltzmann distribution?

The Boltzmann distribution is a statistical distribution that describes the probability of a system being in a specific energy state at a given temperature. It is named after the Austrian physicist Ludwig Boltzmann.

2. What is the mean energy in the Boltzmann distribution?

The mean energy in the Boltzmann distribution is the average energy of a system at a given temperature. It is calculated by taking the sum of the energy levels multiplied by their respective probabilities in the distribution.

3. How is the mean energy related to temperature in the Boltzmann distribution?

The mean energy is directly proportional to temperature in the Boltzmann distribution. As temperature increases, the mean energy also increases.

4. What is the mean square energy in the Boltzmann distribution?

The mean square energy in the Boltzmann distribution is a measure of the spread of energy levels in a system at a given temperature. It is calculated by taking the sum of the square of the energy levels multiplied by their respective probabilities in the distribution.

5. How does the mean square energy differ from the mean energy in the Boltzmann distribution?

The mean square energy takes into account the spread of energy levels in a system, while the mean energy only considers the average energy. The mean square energy is always greater than or equal to the mean energy.