Good spare time reading books, not textbooks

In summary: In Search of Schrodinger's Cat and In Search of the Multiverse.In summary, there are several good physics books recommended for summer reading, including "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" by Richard Feynman, "Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy" by Kip Thorne, "Boojums All the Way Through" by N. David Mermin, "Sync: The Emerging Science of Spontaneous Order" by Steven Strogatz, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Div, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus
phy6!
Im finishing off my 1st year of general sciences in university, and I'm really interested in the first year courses I took and am thinking about perhaps making physics my major next year.

Any recommendations on some good physics books to read during the summer? Not physics textbooks, I already have a (very heavy) textbook, just stuff more along the lines of general reading. So far I've bought and have briefly started A Students Guide to Maxwell's Equations after reading about that somewhere on the forums here.

Physics news on Phys.org
"QED: The strange theory of light and matter", Richard Feynman
"Black holes and time warps: Einstein's outrageous legacy", Kip Thorne

Feynman's autobigraphical books are surprisingly entertaining, so I recommend those too.

I will second Black Holes and Time Warps.

N. David Mermin's Boojums All the Way Through. It's a book about writing science well. There's loads of good stuff in there, ranging from why we have far too many research journals, to the de-humanization of writing that goes on, to explanations of quantum mechanics and relativity. Highly recommended!

Sync: The Emerging Science of Spontaneous Order by Steven Strogatz is really good. Very informative as well as entertaining.

and of course the classic The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene. The second half of it is all just string theory though. If you haven't seen the PBS documentary based on this book it's quite entertaining as well, but the book has about 100x as much info than that documentary series.

I just wanted to recommend A Students Guide to Maxwell's Equations after reading the title..but it seems you already knew about the book..

As Frederik mentioned Feynman books are entertaining..
You can also try to read Feynman Lectures on Physics of course..

Div, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus also discuss the vector calculus with EM theory..

phy6! said:
Any recommendations on some good physics books to read during the summer? Not physics textbooks, I already have a (very heavy) textbook, just stuff more along the lines of general reading. So far I've bought and have briefly started A Students Guide to Maxwell's Equations after reading about that somewhere on the forums here.

http://www.motionmountain.net/

An oldie but goody:

The Quest For Absolute Zero
the meaning of low temperature physics
Author...K Mendelssohn

The only problem is that I don't know if the book has been updated.

Dadface said:
An oldie but goody:

The Quest For Absolute Zero
the meaning of low temperature physics
Author...K Mendelssohn

The only problem is that I don't know if the book has been updated.
Hah, coincidentally, I just started reading that as part of preparation for summer research :smile:

I recently bought Feynmans 6 Not-So-Easy Pieces and plan on reading that in my spare time. Thanks for the suggestions, and especially that website, free stuff is great (when legal)!

Pretty much anything by John Gribben

1. What are some good books to read in my spare time?

There are many great books to read in your spare time, and the answer will vary depending on your personal preferences. Some popular options include classic literature such as "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee or "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, contemporary fiction like "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins or "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah, or non-fiction books like "Becoming" by Michelle Obama or "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.

2. How do I find good books to read?

One way to find good books to read is to ask for recommendations from friends, family, or your local librarian. You can also browse bestseller lists, book review websites, or online book clubs for suggestions. Additionally, checking out books from different genres or authors you've never read before can lead to discovering new favorites.

3. How can I make time for reading in my busy schedule?

Making time for reading can be challenging, but it's important to prioritize it as a leisure activity. You can try setting aside a specific time each day or week for reading, such as before bed or during your lunch break. You can also try audiobooks during your commute or while doing chores. Remember, even a few pages a day can add up over time.

4. Are there any benefits to reading in my spare time?

Yes, there are numerous benefits to reading in your spare time. Reading can improve your vocabulary, enhance your critical thinking skills, and reduce stress and anxiety. It also allows you to escape into different worlds and perspectives, making you more empathetic and understanding of others. Additionally, reading can help improve your memory and concentration.

5. How can I stay motivated to continue reading?

One way to stay motivated to continue reading is to set a reading goal for yourself, such as a certain number of books to read in a year or a specific genre to explore. You can also join a book club or participate in online reading challenges to stay accountable and motivated. Additionally, finding a reading buddy or discussing books with others can make the experience more enjoyable and keep you motivated.