Definition of variable coefficients in linear differential equations

In summary, the variable coefficient in linear differential equations can be any function of x, not just polynomials. This includes sine and cosine functions. To solve such equations, various methods can be used, such as power series and Laplace transform. However, with non-homogeneous terms, the solution may become more complex.
tiredryan
Physics news on Phys.org
The way to tell if it is linear or not is to look at the functions (including derivatives) of y.
The equation is linear in y if all functions of y are in the first power.

That is y'', y', y occur but (y'')2 ; (y')2 ; (y)2 do not occur.

The general second order linear differential equation is

[tex]l\left( x \right)\frac{{{d^2}y}}{{d{x^2}}} + m\left( x \right)\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} + n\left( x \right)y = g\left( x \right)[/tex]

Where l(x), m(x), n(x) and g(x) are functions of x only.

So your example is linear.

go well

Yes, it is linear.

Yes, if we have a linear differential equation with variable coefficients with dependent variable y and independent variable x, then the coefficients may be any functions of x.

Of course, even with polynomial coefficents, such an equation can become very difficult to solve.

Hi everybody,
I just wanted to ask how can I solve such problems when the coefficient is a sin or cos?
What method should I use? My problem is

y'''+y''+y'+cos(x)y=0

and I don't even know how to start solving it. I was thinking I could replace cos with its power series and then take its laplace transform but that's way too long. I don't know if it would work anyway. Please help.
P.S. I didn't include the non-homogeneous term.

What are variable coefficients in linear differential equations?

Variable coefficients in linear differential equations refer to coefficients that are not constant, but instead change depending on the independent variable in the equation.

Why are variable coefficients important in linear differential equations?

Variable coefficients allow for more accurate and flexible modeling of real-world problems. They also provide a better understanding of the behavior of the system being modeled.

How do variable coefficients affect the solution of a linear differential equation?

The inclusion of variable coefficients can change the form of the solution to a linear differential equation, making it more complex and requiring advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

Can variable coefficients be treated as constants in a linear differential equation?

No, variable coefficients cannot be treated as constants in a linear differential equation. This is because the values of the coefficients will impact the behavior of the system being modeled.

What are some examples of real-world problems that can be modeled using variable coefficients in linear differential equations?

Examples include heat transfer in a varying medium, population growth with varying birth and death rates, and motion in a varying gravitational field.