New Force After Objects Are Touched Together?

In summary, the problem involves two identical objects with charges of +6.0 microcoulombs and -2.0 microcoulombs, respectively, placed a distance "d" apart with a force of attraction of 2.0N. When the objects are touched together and then moved to a distance of 2d, the new force between them is being calculated. The solution involves using Coulomb's Law and solving for "d", which is found to be 0.232m. Doubling this distance gives a separation of 0.464m. However, the solution does not account for the change in charge for each object as they touch, resulting in an incorrect answer of 0.23N instead of the
aeromat
I didn't use latex because for some reason, a term with the 10 to the power of -# isn't working properly:

[tex]1.0*10^-1[/tex]

Homework Statement

Two identical objects have charges +6.0 microcoulombs and -2.0 microcoulombs, respectively. When placed a distance "d" apart, their force of attraction is 2.0N. If the objects are touched together, then moved to a distance of separation of 2d, what will be the new force between them?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for "d"
d =
sqrt{(9*10^9)(6.0*10^-6)(2.0*10^-6)
-------------------------------
(2.0)}

The d I got was 0.232m, so I doubled that to get 0.464m, since it says they would be at a distance 2d. Since they separated from each other, then that means they are both the same charge.

FQ =
(9.0*10^9)(6.0*10^-6)(2.0*10^-6)
-------------------
(0.464)

= 0.2327N
approx. 0.23N
However, the answer at the back is "0.17N". What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to include the change in charge for each object as they touch.

I apologize, but I don't understand what you mean.

The problem text says " ... the objects are touched together". Think about what that means for the distribution of charge on the two objects.

I would like to point out that the question itself is not completely clear. When it says "objects are touched together", it is not specified whether they are touching in a way that their charges are combined or if they are just physically touching each other. This could affect the calculation.

However, assuming that the objects are touching in a way that their charges are combined, the new force between them would be 0.17N. This can be calculated by using Coulomb's Law again, but with the new charge of +4.0 microcoulombs for the combined object. The equation would be:

F = (9.0*10^9)(4.0*10^-6)(4.0*10^-6) / (2*0.464)^2 = 0.17N

This is because when the objects are touched together, their charges combine and become +4.0 microcoulombs. This results in a smaller force of attraction between the objects, since the charges are now closer together.

In conclusion, the new force between the objects after they are touched together and separated to a distance of 2d would be 0.17N. However, I would recommend clarifying the question for a more accurate answer.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between the electric force, charge, and distance between two charged particles. The law states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law was discovered by French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb in 1785. He conducted experiments to measure the force between charged particles and formulated the law based on his observations.

3. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the electric force, k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them. The value of k is 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

4. What are the units of Coulomb's Law?

The units of Coulomb's Law are newtons (N) for force, coulombs (C) for charge, and meters (m) for distance. The value of k also has its own unit, Nm^2/C^2.

5. How does Coulomb's Law apply to real-world situations?

Coulomb's Law is used to understand and explain various phenomena in the physical world, such as the behavior of electric charges in circuits, the attraction and repulsion between particles in atoms, and the interaction between celestial bodies in space. It is also used in practical applications such as designing electrical systems, predicting the behavior of charged particles in accelerators, and calculating the force between two magnets.