Pulley system with 2 inclined planes on either side, a block, and a cylinder

In summary, the problem involves two inclined planes with angles theta (30 degrees) and phi (60 degrees) connected by a frictionless pulley. A circular solid cylinder with mass M (1.2 kg) and radius R (.2 m) is connected to the theta plane by a weightless rope, and a block with mass m (3 kg) is connected to the other plane. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are .8 and .5 respectively. The system is released from rest at time t=0. To calculate the resulting linear and angular acceleration of the cylinder, the net force and net torque must be calculated using the weight of the cylinder, tension in the rope, and friction force. The moment of inertia of the
khfrekek92

Homework Statement

Two inclined planes on either side of a frictionless pulley have angles theta (30 degrees) and phi (60 degrees). On the theta plane is a circular solid cylinder of mass M (1.2 kg) and radius R (.2 m). It is connected by a weightless rope and over the pulley to the other plane to a black of mass m (3 kg). The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are .8 and .5 respectively. The system is released from rest at time t=0. What is the resulting linear and angular acceleration of the cylinder, and which direction is it moving?

Homework Equations

a=mv^2/r ??
F_f=uN
F=ma
I=MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Through intuition I'm fairly sure the cylinder will be pulled up the theta plane (as the block is on a much steeper incline, and it is more than double the mass). But I'm not sure how to calculate the accelerations of the cylinder. I've set up the fore-diagrams and I'm guessing you use f=ma to find to linear acceleration? And then how do I get the angular?
Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. To calculate the linear acceleration of the cylinder, you can use the equation F=ma, where F is the net force acting on the cylinder and m is its mass. The net force can be calculated by considering the forces acting on the cylinder: the weight of the cylinder, the tension in the rope, and the friction force. The weight of the cylinder is mg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity. The tension in the rope can be calculated using the angles of the inclined planes and the pulley, and the friction force can be calculated using the coefficient of friction and the normal force on the cylinder. Once you have calculated the net force, you can solve for the acceleration.

To calculate the angular acceleration, you can use the equation τ=Iα, where τ is the net torque acting on the cylinder, I is the moment of inertia of the cylinder, and α is the angular acceleration. The net torque can be calculated by considering the torque due to the weight of the cylinder and the friction force. The moment of inertia of the cylinder can be calculated using the equation I=MR^2. Once you have calculated the net torque, you can solve for the angular acceleration.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How does a pulley system with inclined planes work?

A pulley system with inclined planes uses the principles of both pulleys and inclined planes to lift or move objects. The weight of the object is distributed between the inclined planes, reducing the effort needed to lift the object. The pulleys also help to change the direction of force, making it easier to lift the object.

2. What is the purpose of the block and cylinder in this pulley system?

The block and cylinder act as the load in this pulley system. The block is attached to one side of the inclined planes and the cylinder is attached to the other side. As the pulleys are pulled, the block and cylinder move in opposite directions, creating a balance of forces and allowing the load to be lifted or moved with less effort.

3. What types of materials are typically used to make a pulley system with inclined planes?

The inclined planes are usually made of materials such as wood, metal, or plastic, while the pulleys can be made of metal or plastic. The rope or cable used in the pulley system is typically made of strong and durable materials such as nylon or steel.

4. What are the advantages of using a pulley system with inclined planes?

One of the main advantages of this type of pulley system is that it reduces the amount of effort needed to lift or move heavy objects. This can be especially useful in situations where the load is too heavy for a single person to lift. Additionally, the inclined planes also distribute the weight of the load, making it easier to control and maneuver.

5. Are there any limitations to using a pulley system with inclined planes?

One limitation of this type of pulley system is that it may not be suitable for extremely heavy loads. The inclined planes may not be able to support the weight or the pulleys may not be strong enough to handle the load. Additionally, the length of the inclined planes may also be a limiting factor in terms of the height or distance the load can be moved.