Design and Build a Machine to Stop an Egg from Breaking

In summary, in physics class, students have one week to design and build a machine that can prevent an egg from breaking when launched from the third story. They are limited to using only 100 straws and one meter of tape provided by the teacher. The straws are not very flexible and tend to crack when a force is applied. The students are advised to use their intuition to begin the design process, but to also conduct multiple tests to ensure the machine's success.
15inugirl15
In physics we have about a week to come with a design and build a machine to stop the egg from breaking.
It will be launched from the third story
We only can use the materials the teacher ( about 100 straws and a meter of tape)
THATS ALL WE GET! The sraws bend a little but are not very flexible and when a force (hand) slms into them they crack in the middle

Physics news on Phys.org
get 10,000 straws and 100m of tape and then start building and dropping. use your intuition to get started, but test, test some more, and then do some more tests; you get the idea :smile:.

1. How can I design a machine that will stop an egg from breaking?

There are a few key factors to consider when designing a machine to stop an egg from breaking. First, the machine should have a soft and shock-absorbing surface for the egg to land on. Additionally, the machine should have a mechanism to slow down the egg's descent, such as a parachute or a series of springs. Finally, the machine should have an adjustable landing platform to accommodate different sizes and weights of eggs.

2. What materials should I use to build the machine?

The materials used to build the machine should be lightweight, yet sturdy enough to support the weight of the egg. Some common materials used for this type of project include cardboard, foam, and plastic. It is also important to use materials that are non-slip to prevent the egg from sliding off the machine.

3. How can I test the effectiveness of my machine?

The best way to test the effectiveness of your machine is to conduct multiple trials using eggs of different weights and dropping them from different heights. Make sure to record the results of each trial and make adjustments to your machine as needed. You can also use a force sensor to measure the impact force on the egg and compare it to the force of a regular egg drop.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building the machine?

Yes, it is important to prioritize safety when building and testing your machine. Make sure to wear safety goggles and gloves when handling materials and tools. Also, have a designated area for testing the machine that is clear of any obstacles or hazards. And always have adult supervision when conducting experiments.

5. Can I make modifications to my machine after testing it?

Absolutely! Making modifications to your machine is a crucial part of the design process. If your initial design did not work as expected, use the data from your trials to make improvements. This could involve changing the materials, adjusting the landing platform, or adding new features. Remember, the more you experiment and make modifications, the better your machine will become.