EvC debate - Pennsylvania school board

In summary, the Dover Area School Board revised the science curriculum to include the teaching of "intelligent design," prompting two school board members to resign. Locals fear that the move will result in a lawsuit.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/news/2004/PA/39_a_dubious_first_for_intellige_10_21_2004.asp

In a surprise move, a Pennsylvania school board recently voted to include "intelligent design" in the district's science curriculum. At its meeting on October 18, 2004, the Dover Area School Board revised the science curriculum to include the following:

"Students will be made aware of gaps/problems in Darwin's Theory and of other theories of evolution including, but not limited to, intelligent design. Note: Origins of life will not be taught."

The district is now apparently the first school district in the country to require the teaching of "intelligent design" -- a move that prompted two school board members to resign and that is likely, locals fear, to result in a lawsuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Hot Damn,

We can no longer make fun of the South for being backwards.

Nautica

btw - I am from Arkansas

This is just getting stupid.. I think a good compromise would be to get rid of intelligent design and natrual selection altogether. Not really useful anyway, except perhaps to explain to students why you shouldn't take anti-biotics unless you really have to.

"Kids, don't take anti-biotics unless you need to because the germs can become resistant due to natural selection"

"Kids, don't take anti-biotics unless you need to because god will get angry"

(ok.. the last bit was uncalled for :))

I thought I was going to be sick, but my stomach is apparently too intelligently designed for me not to vomit over everything that runs against every kind of sense.

Last edited:
I'm ashamed to say I'm from Philadelphia. Hopefully, this will die quickly.

At least it is easy to study for an intelligent design test. Every answer is "god did it."

russ_watters said:
I'm ashamed to say I'm from Philadelphia. Hopefully, this will die quickly.

Can't be the Amish community --- an invasion of KKK from NE Md.?

1. What is the "EvC debate" in Pennsylvania school board?

The "EvC debate" in Pennsylvania school board refers to the ongoing debate over the teaching of Evolution and Creationism in public schools. Evolution is a scientific theory that explains the development and diversity of life on Earth, while Creationism is a religious belief that states the universe and all living things were created by a divine being.

2. Is it legal to teach Creationism in public schools in Pennsylvania?

No, it is not legal to teach Creationism in public schools in Pennsylvania. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1987 that the teaching of Creationism in public schools is a violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, which prohibits the government from promoting or favoring any particular religion.

3. What is the argument for teaching both Evolution and Creationism in schools?

The argument for teaching both Evolution and Creationism is known as "teaching the controversy" or "equal time" approach. This argument claims that since there is a scientific debate about the validity of Evolution, both Evolution and Creationism should be presented in the classroom to allow students to make their own conclusions.

4. What is the scientific consensus on Evolution?

The scientific consensus on Evolution is that it is a well-supported and widely accepted scientific theory. The evidence for Evolution comes from multiple fields of science, including biology, geology, and genetics. The majority of scientists and scientific organizations agree that Evolution is the best explanation for the diversity of life on Earth.

5. How do other states handle the teaching of Evolution and Creationism?

The teaching of Evolution and Creationism varies by state. Some states have passed laws that allow for the teaching of Creationism alongside Evolution, while others have explicitly banned the teaching of Creationism in public schools. The majority of states have no specific laws or guidelines on teaching Evolution and Creationism, leaving it up to individual school districts to decide how to approach the topic.