Divorce and religious opinions

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opinions
In summary: If you stay together and the relationship goes bad, it is much worse for your kids. If you can truly admit that you have absolutely no relationship with your spouse (which is in reality, highly unlikely), it is of course best to get a divorce. If you're miserable together, it's better to separate. That's true for the kids too. IIRC, there have been studies done (or maybe they were just surveys) showing that kids are worse off living in a house with two parents who are constantly fighting than living with just one parent without the fighting. But, then it's also important
Saint
Without referring to religious opinions about it,
thinking independently,
do you think Divorce is the best choice if you really can stay anymore with your spouse?
if you have children, what can you do to avoid harm on them ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's certainly not the percentage play.

About 50% of marriages work out at least well enough for the couple to stay together.

Of previously divorced people, about 20% stay together. Considering about half of divorcees never even attempt marriage again, there's about a 10% chance of going on to have successful marriage.

Marriage is pretty intense. If it didn't work the first time, it takes an awful lot of faith and courage to put as much of yourself in the second one as you did the first one.

You should stay together, unhappy, and sleep in the same bed... for the kids of course :biggrin:

Honestly I don't know. I would think that it is better to separate but have both parents stay very involved in the children's lives. This means being together (as adults) whenever you need to (at all of the events in their life).

Divorce and children is the one reason I never want to get married or have kids. How do you "know" you can love someone for the rest of your life? How do you know feelings won't change?

Imagine you marry at 25 only to find out she starts boinking someone else from her office when you are 45... :frown: 20 years wasted *sigh*. Many people will say that you should have been able to read that from their personality yet look how much infidelity happens in marriages now? How could they "not have seen it coming" either? I don't know... I don't have much faith :tongue:

Last edited:
If you're miserable together, it's better to separate. That's true for the kids too. IIRC, there have been studies done (or maybe they were just surveys) showing that kids are worse off living in a house with two parents who are constantly fighting than living with just one parent without the fighting. But, then it's also important for the divorced couple to remember they shouldn't use their children as pawns to continue the fight. If you bring kids into the world, you have to set aside everything else and do what's best for them.

Marriages break down because people have lost understanding of marriage, and thus, can not articulate their true love.

If you can truly admit that you have absolutely no relationship with your spouse (which is in reality, highly unlikely), it is of course best to get a divorce.

Moonbear said:
If you're miserable together, it's better to separate. That's true for the kids too. IIRC, there have been studies done (or maybe they were just surveys) showing that kids are worse off living in a house with two parents who are constantly fighting than living with just one parent without the fighting. But, then it's also important for the divorced couple to remember they shouldn't use their children as pawns to continue the fight. If you bring kids into the world, you have to set aside everything else and do what's best for them.
I completely agree. How the parents handle the situation will determine how the children are affected.

My ex was an overbearing control freak that made my kid's lives (and mine) unbearable. My kids were so happy when I finally kicked him out. They still do not like being around him. Yes, he's their father.

Evo, you divorced?
How is your second husband? Good enough to meet your requirements?

Saint said:
Evo, you divorced?
How is your second husband? Good enough to meet your requirements?
I never remarried.

Well, Divorce for me is the most thing i HATE in life, but i think it should be done, when it should be done, as any other thing...

The thingy is living kindly together...or separate nicley "together!"
Thus why my strategy in life is to really study the other person before getting into a realtionship with her. So in case of "divorce" it will be "in a good process"

Divorce is a more complex way of "Breaking up", specially if it involved children, but it is still breaking up...

1. What does religion say about divorce?

Religious opinions on divorce vary among different faiths and denominations. Some religions, such as Catholicism and Orthodox Judaism, see divorce as a sin and do not allow it except in extreme circumstances. Other religions, like Protestantism and Islam, may allow divorce but still view it as a last resort. It is important to consult with religious leaders and teachings to understand the specific beliefs and guidelines regarding divorce.

2. Can a person of faith get a divorce?

Yes, individuals of faith are able to get a divorce. While some religions may have stricter rules and regulations surrounding divorce, ultimately it is up to the individual and their personal beliefs and interpretations. Divorce can be a difficult and complex decision, and it is important for individuals to seek guidance and support from their religious community during this process.

3. How does religion affect the divorce process?

Religion can play a role in the divorce process in various ways. For some, it may influence their decision to get a divorce or their willingness to work towards reconciliation. It may also impact the specific guidelines and procedures for divorce, such as requiring counseling or mediation before proceeding with the legal process. Additionally, religion may be considered when determining custody arrangements and other aspects of the divorce settlement.

4. Are there any religious beliefs or practices that can prevent divorce?

Some religions may have teachings or practices that discourage or prevent divorce. For example, in Catholicism, a marriage is considered sacramental and cannot be dissolved by divorce. However, it is important to note that ultimately, the decision to divorce is a personal one and may be influenced by a variety of factors, including individual beliefs and interpretations of religious teachings.

5. How can individuals of different religious backgrounds navigate divorce?

Navigating divorce can be challenging for any couple, and even more so for those of different religious backgrounds. It is important for individuals to have open and honest communication about their beliefs and values, and to seek guidance and support from their religious communities. Compromise and understanding may also be necessary in order to come to a mutually agreeable resolution for both individuals and their families.