Is Aerospace Engineering a good major to pursue?

In summary: Aerospace engineers can also do a lot of work in other engineering disciplines, so if you have a knack for math or science, there's a good chance you could find a job in engineering.In summary, the economy has slowed down, and the baby boomers are still working, so the field is not as fast paced as it once was. However, if you are interested in aerospace engineering, it is still a very rewarding field, and you can try to find a job in many other engineering disciplines as well.
Goopy17
I know the field is kind of slow right now, but do you think it will pick up? It interests me a lot and I would love to work for Boeing after college. Do you think it will be in demand in 5-6 years?
Thanks!

Also, a kid I know wants to be one and he said all the baby boomers will retire in about that time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Goopy17 said:
Also, a kid I know wants to be one and he said all the baby boomers will retire in about that time.

They've been saying that for 10 years.

Astro_Dude said:
They've been saying that for 10 years.

Yeah, the problem was that the economy slowed down and all the baby boomers realized that the retirement they thought was going to be there wasn't. So they're sticking around for a while longer...

I say go for it. Even if you don't get into Boeing, there are plenty of jobs that an aerospace engineer can do. Also, think internationally.

If you go the aero route, try and get an internship with Boeing. That'll go a long way towards getting a job, and, IIRC, will get you a higher starting salary.

I wanted to become an aeronautical engineer for a long time, but now I feel that engineering fields like that are risky and not well defined. I realized that software engineering and web development is really rewarding, and there are plenty of programming jobs out there. Plus, if you have a brilliant idea for a website or an application, you can develop it yourself, unlike if you think of a cool airplane design.

I think it would be cool to engineer jet engines though... I guess there isn't one specific job title for designing those. Aeronautical engineers for the fans and turbines, and mechanical engineers for the shafts and fuel systems and whatnot maybe?

I'd also like to point out that aerospace engineers do *not* just do aerodynamics. There are a wide variety of specializations, from aerodynamics, which most people think of when they hear "aerospace engineer", to dynamics and controls, materials, structures, human factors, etc.

Aerospace engineers can do mechanical engineering work (the reverse is also true), so it's not as if you're going jobless if you don't get hired to do wind tunnel testing for Boeing.

1. Is Aerospace Engineering a difficult major?

Yes, Aerospace Engineering is considered a difficult major because it involves a lot of complex mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. Students are also required to have a strong understanding of computer-aided design (CAD) software and programming languages.

2. What career opportunities are available with a degree in Aerospace Engineering?

Graduates with a degree in Aerospace Engineering have a wide range of career opportunities. They can work in the aerospace industry, designing and building aircraft, spacecraft, and missiles. They can also work in the defense industry, government agencies, and research institutions.

3. Is it a good major for those interested in space exploration?

Yes, Aerospace Engineering is a great major for those interested in space exploration. It covers all aspects of designing, building, and testing spacecraft, including propulsion systems, materials, and structures. Graduates can work in the space industry, developing new technologies and exploring the unknown.

4. What skills do I need to succeed in Aerospace Engineering?

To succeed in Aerospace Engineering, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid foundation in mathematics and physics. It is also important to have good communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team.

5. Is there a demand for Aerospace Engineers?

Yes, there is a high demand for Aerospace Engineers, especially in the aerospace and defense industries. As technology continues to advance, the need for skilled engineers to design and develop new aircraft and spacecraft will only continue to grow.