Question about units for angular velocity, time constant

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the natural frequency of a hydraulic cylinder in rad/sec and the subsequent conversion to seconds to find the time constant. The question is raised about when to use sec/cycle vs. sec/rad and whether using cycle/sec would yield a different answer. It is clarified that the time constant is different from the period and serves as a parameter for a system's response. The response also includes a link to a forum discussion on the topic.
ahunter10
Here is a link to page in a book which contains an example problem:

http://imgur.com/OPrlw.jpg"

In the book, they work out the natural frequency of a hydraulic cylinder and come out with an answer in rad/sec. This number is then inverted to get a time constant, and the resultant unit is seconds.

I understand that a radian is dimensionless, and 1 rad/sec really equals 1/sec. So, it makes sense that you invert it and get seconds. However, you would also get seconds if you first convert the frequency from rad/sec to cycle/sec, and then invert.

My question is: how do you know which to use? When do you want to use sec/cycle, vs. sec/rad? It seems ambiguous, and the numbers would come out very differently.

I know the result of this equation is in radians. What if you experimentally measured the natural frequency in cycles/sec, and then inverted to get the time constant in seconds? You would get a different answer, but I don't think anything was done wrong.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I think I am missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you may be confusing a "time constant" vs. a "period." One is a parameter which is indicitive of a system's response, the other is the length of time for one cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_constant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Period_(physics )

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating or moving in a circular path. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of rotational speed, while linear velocity is a measure of straight-line speed. Angular velocity takes into account the distance from the axis of rotation, while linear velocity does not.

3. What are the units for angular velocity?

The most commonly used units for angular velocity are radians per second (rad/s) and revolutions per minute (rpm). Other units, such as degrees per second, can also be used.

4. What is a time constant in relation to angular velocity?

A time constant is a measure of how quickly a system reaches a steady state. In the context of angular velocity, it is the time it takes for an object to reach a constant speed of rotation.

5. How is angular velocity related to frequency?

Angular velocity and frequency are directly proportional to each other. As angular velocity increases, frequency also increases. They are related by the equation: frequency = angular velocity / 2π.